Skip to main content

dynamips-wxp.exe in GNS3 100% cpu usage

More
14 years 10 months ago #30639 by ZiPPy
Is anybody else running into this issue, where dynamips-wxp.exe in GNS3 uses 100% cpu power? From what I read online, this happens when you have more than one router running? How are people handling this when running the GNS3 simulation.

Could I possibly be missing a configuration setting? From what I gathered, you have to have the executable path for Dynamips set correctly to C:\ProgramFiles\GNS3\Dynamips\dynamips-wxp.exe which I have done successfully.

It looks as GNS3 is a resource hungry simulator. I'm starting to think nothing will ever beat a true Cisco lab. But then again, when you start dealing with the advanced labs, it gets rather expensive.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 10 months ago #30653 by S0lo
To lower the CPU usage, GNS3 needs whats called the idle-pc value of the IOS image you have.

Create a router, then start it. wait until the console window of the router stops giving messages. So it shows you "Router#". Now right click on the router and select idle-pc. It will take like 10 or 20 seconds, then it will show you several idle-pc values to choose from. The ones that are marked with * are the best. Try one of those.

If the CPU usage doesn't drop, do the whole thing again and choose another value from the list. Do this until you reach a good value. The CPU usage should drop to about 5% to 15%.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30654 by ZiPPy
S0lo,

I have managed to drop the CPU usage when applying an idle-pc value. Why is this required? This worked right away, and I don't believe they talk about this in the documentation. But I could be wrong.

As for connecting to the router, I get the same result. I select console which opens a telnet localhost window. The prompt says: Connected to Dynamips VM "R0" (ID 0, type c1700) - Console port I have uploaded the correct image for a 1700 series router.

Do I continue to miss a configuration setting? I have left the window open for about 3 or 4 minutes, just in case some lag was a factor.

I'm pretty sure this is a configuration issue somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Cheers mate,

ZiPPy [/b]

ZiPPy
More
14 years 10 months ago #30660 by S0lo

As for connecting to the router, I get the same result. I select console which opens a telnet localhost window. The prompt says: Connected to Dynamips VM "R0" (ID 0, type c1700) - Console port I have uploaded the correct image for a 1700 series router.

Do you mean here that the console windows hangs empty and router output does not show up? If so, I faced the same problem with some IOS images. My only fix to it was to use another image. I'm not sure why it happens. Try increasing the default RAM for the image, you will find this setting in the same window were you configured the default IOS images.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30793 by ZiPPy
S0lo,

I downloaded a new image and was successful in getting the router to load. So you were correct, its just a matter of finding an IOS image that GNS3 will allow.

The problem now is that the CPU continues to spike and hold at 100% usage.

Memory usage: 464MB out of 1GB
--dynamips-wxp.exe @ 99cpu 151,852K memory usage
--gns3.exe @ 00cpu 31,720K memory usage

Keep in mind I only have one Cisco 1721 router running. I couldn't image creating a enterprise topology with 8+ routers and other network devices. I'm pretty sure a tweaking is necessary, but the question is where?

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 10 months ago #30799 by S0lo
ZiPPy,

Did you try to the idle-pc option (same as you did before). If it doesn't work once or twice, then keep repeating until you get a good value for it.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds