Skip to main content

Need help on remote access...

More
18 years 2 months ago #13345 by johnwong
I am running Windows XP Pro on a wireless router ( Dlink 524+), Windows 2000 Advanced Server; just as file server, just a simple wireless setup with WEP enabled.
How can I set up remote access to my home LAN, could anyone give me assistance on this issue? Thanks.
More
18 years 2 months ago #13347 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic remote access
hi there mate,
you can either use the windows default remote access software (net meeting), or you can use the Request for Remote Assistance (the help section on XP will show you how to do it).
there are quite a few softwares like a PC Anywhere kind of a thing, but using something default to an operating system would be beneficial as it would be easier to use.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 2 months ago #13348 by johnwong
Hey Mate,
Thanks for the input, however, I would like to access my compuer for info when no one is there, so remote assistance is not much help, since it needs another person at the other end. Therefore, I would like to configure the router to let me access my LAN, however, I am not sure if I can use VNC or the remote access in Windows XP, one way or the other, I need help to configure my router.
Thanks.
More
18 years 2 months ago #13350 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic try router config
sometimes the router OS lets external IP addresses to be stored in their database from which you can access the router, and subsequently the LAN. so go through your router manual, and check if it allows an IP address or a range of IP addresses via which you can access both your router and your LAN, and manage them from an external host which is not a part of your existing LAN.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 2 months ago #13351 by VINODM
You can Try tool like "Remote Anywhere"
which help you access your computer over the Internet Remotely.

Cheers,
VINOD M :)

CCNA
~If You Cant Beat Him Join Him~
More
18 years 2 months ago #13362 by DaLight
To summarise what's been said by the various contributors to the thread. You have quite a number of options. To start off with, both Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Server can be accessed using an RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) client . You will need to set up port forwarding in your router's GUI and forward port 3389 to the machine in question. Set the RDP encryption level to "High" on the hosts.

You can also install VNC which is free. The ultravnc variant supports encryption. The default port to forward in this case is 5900, or whatever port you set on the machine running the VNC server. It is probably best not to use the default port as a lot of scans run against it.

The port forwarding options can be found under the "Virtual Server" option in the "Advanced" Menu.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds