Skip to main content

Advice on Load Balancing and Failover Routers

More
18 years 2 months ago #12942 by DaLight
I need some advice on selecting a reasonably priced Load Balancing and Failover Router for my office network. Our (sole) DSL connection was down for the whole of last week, hence the need to draw up an internet backup plan.
Basic requirements are as follows:
    1. 2 WAN ports (Ethernet) - as I will be ordering a second DSL connection
    2. Automatic Failover capability
    3. Load balancing would be nice but is not a requirement
    4. Built-in Firewall would be nice but also not a requirement
I have identified two possible candidates and was wondering if anyone has ever come across them before:
NETWalker Agile 200 High Performance Load Balancer (by Xrio)
2. Pheenet BIG-L2/4 Load Balancing router
I also took a look at CISCO's range, but the lowest spec router that will do the job is the CISCO 1800 series which is out of my price range. What I need is input from anyone who has had previous experience of these types of devices bearing in mind my price cap of about $400 - 500. I've also had a look at "home-brew" solutions, but would rather stick with an off-the-shelf product.

I would appreciate as much input as possible.
More
18 years 2 months ago #12946 by guerilla7
Have you seen F5 Network's BIG IP Load Balancing Routers?

Im not sure though if it fits your budget. Yes, A Cisco 1841 is also my dream but its 2,000 $ plus!

Please PM me or post at this post if you find anything, thanks!

"I see dead packets"
More
18 years 2 months ago #12952 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Load Balancing
I see where you're coming from. I've not had any experience of those devices but load balancing would be the way to go if you can do it as you can then use both links. A simpler alternative might be to use a router and give one link a higher cost than the other, but this would only use the lower cost link with the second mouldering away as standby.
More
18 years 2 months ago #12961 by DaLight
Thanks for the posts. I was going to go with your suggestion Bishop until I found out how reasonably priced the above devices were.
More
17 years 10 months ago #15162 by bcalder
I am looking for something similar. I need to aggregate an E1 + 4-aDSL lines. The Edimax PRI-885 ( www.edimax.com/html/english/products/PRI885.htm ) looks promising for a very good price - any experience out there with it, or other suggestions??
More
17 years 10 months ago #15169 by DaLight
The inbound load balancing feature is really unique. I have not seen products from any manufacturers with this feature. Usually the only inbound load balancing is related to bonding VPN links. How much is it?
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds