Skip to main content

My ultimate network

More
18 years 4 months ago #12291 by gatorengineer
nnbnbHere is a network that I would like to impliment. Some of it is already up and running (about half) and the other half will be working later this summer. Tell if you think this will work. My main concern is the locations of the proxy servers and if I have set it up correctly. Of course the other major concern are any security holes that you may see.

Cheers!!!

P.S. Just so you know, I want to do this because all the computers I'm getting are free or I already have them. I'm doing it to learn how to setup a large network. Just a student of networks I guess or a glutten for punishment.
onealweb.com/network.htm
More
18 years 4 months ago #12294 by drizzle
Replied by drizzle on topic Re: My ultimate network
You might want to edit your post to fix the link. IMHO, you can tell very little about security based on some pictues and a few labels. It is only as secure as its weakest link.

Good luck though. It looks like quite the endeavor. What did you use to draw up your network diagram? I am always interested in different ways people do this and I've never seen one quite like yours.

Note to Chris & Sahir: Will you ever release a how to for creating the nifty diagrams you use in your documentation?
More
18 years 4 months ago #12295 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: My ultimate network
Wow! Where are you going to store them all? I don't even know where to start. I note you've a couple of IPCOPs in there. What does A4 do and why have you got it running XP?
More
18 years 4 months ago #12298 by gatorengineer
Fixed the link, thanks! Well I think I have, or I have tried, to think of all the possibilities to remove the weakest link. Just thought if someone saw something glaring that would be great, but overall I feel its pretty secure.

I used AutoCAD to design it. If you want I can post the drawing and you are more than welcome to use it as you see fit. I'd like credit for it, but it really isn't necessary.

As far as storing the computers, I will either put them in garage (worst case scenerio and the one I don't want to do) or I have a spare bedroom and lots of extra room in my current computer room for them.

The A4 computer and all the other computers running XP will be computers for surfing the web, playing games, etc. The Test computers will be for installing Linux distros or anything else I see fit to install at that time. The servers are file servers except for the one on the DMZ which is a web and email server. I have sprinkled some IPCOP and OPENBSD PF throughout depending on the application. I was using IPCOP at the very beginning for easy of setting up. I was using the other IPCOP on the Semi-trusted network for VPN of the wireless network.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
More
18 years 4 months ago #12299 by drizzle
Replied by drizzle on topic Re: My ultimate network
It looks like an interesting project. My only suggestion is you may want to use a different gateway router. The linksys will do the job but you'd get a lot more control using a managed router. I know most linksys routers come with a web gui. You might look at projects like OpenWRT and some others like that. I use their firmware on my routers and I have a lot more control over my backbone because of it. Iptables, vlans, advanced routing, vpn, etc.

Not sure what model your linksys is though.

Drizzle
More
18 years 4 months ago #12320 by gatorengineer
Replied by gatorengineer on topic Error
I just noticed the error you were talking about on A4. That was suppose to be OpenBSD. I will fix it tomorrow.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds