Skip to main content

pc technician who's boss won't explain things to him ..

More
20 years 6 months ago #1224 by Raggedy_Hobo
would my Access Point need a static route, or could i let it obtain automatically?? either way .. how do i get my access point to communicate with all the subnetworks? wouldn't it only talk with 1 of the subnetworks due to it only having one gateway??

would i need to connect a router between my access point and the antennas?

In the beginning ...

I wonder, where will this road lead me

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1227 by Raggedy_Hobo
uh oh .. found the supernetting section .. i'm in trouble now!! lol

In the beginning ...

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1228 by Raggedy_Hobo
i think this is my problem ..

www.angelfire.com/blues2/raggedy_hobo/im...bnetwork_diagram.jpg

i ask the question in the diagram ..

if while running DHCP .. if a client's computer and a WET 11 are given IP's but, each are in a different subnetwork .. that would make it so that the client's computer couldn't access the internet, correct!?

OMG .. omg .. omg .. i think i figured out why my setup isn't working!!!!!

so, since i'm running DHCP .. i really need to make it a classful C .. since i need it that no matter where a WET 11 or a client's machines are located (subnetwork speaking), they can talk to one another ..

but, can i make it a classfull C address since my provider stipulated that i had to use 255.255.255.240?? does that mean the router between our servers and there servers isn't setup to handle default class C?? i suppose i would have to call them to find out, since we're not allowed to access the router

in order for the server to talk to the router .. i not only have to use an IP that's in the same subnetwork as the LAN IP address, but, i have to type in the proper subnet mask of 255.255.255.240 .. correct?? i can't just use any IP (any 10.168.161.x that is) .. i have to use one that would be in the same subnetwork as prescribed by the .240??

hmm .. i think i'm missing something .. grrrr .. i hate not knowing

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1232 by Chris
You have quite a bit of information and questions on that diagram, but I'd like to focus in a few things.

Looking at your diagram, scope 2 and IP 10.168.161.16.

This IP is associated with a router, which in its turn connects via CAT 5 to 10.168.161.14 (WET 11F). In this situation your asking if 'These 2 will talk', and the answer is yes!

I've looked in our subnet-routing section and there is an example with exactly this type of setup. This will help you understand why it will work. I'd prefer you to read it and look at the provided diagram so you can fully understand why:

www.firewall.cx/ip-subnetting-routing.php

Check the 5th diagram - its the last one on the page.

Now, coming to the router/ISP and .240 issue, I'm slightly confused. This is my understanding of your situation:

ISP--- > isp's router >

>Your network
10.168.161.1 10.168.161.x
255.255.255.240 255.255.255.240

Is this correct ?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1233 by Raggedy_Hobo
yes, that is correct .. and i'll read that section now

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1238 by tfs
to the road less traveled ! :P

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds