Skip to main content

pc technician who's boss won't explain things to him ..

More
20 years 6 months ago #1262 by Raggedy_Hobo
aye, i don't have the WAN IP of the router .. only the LAN side ..

we're suppose to be able to put over 200 computers onto our network and have internet connection with each of them ..

as for the private network .. that makes sense .. i heard my boss mention something about a token ring that the provider has around here that connects several counties/cities ..

either way, i'm down to my last hour with this .. and still haven't gotten it up .. :(

so, if i'm hearing you correctly .. i only have a total of 14 IP's i can use?? not the actuall 224??

what if i could use a 2nd network card?? would that work??

ISP - router - NIC1 - NIC2 - router - switch - access points - clients?

In the beginning ...

I wonder, where will this road lead me

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1263 by Chris
Raggedy,

Can you please help me clear something up.

You have been given a network of 10.168.161.0 and subnetmask of 255.255.255.240 from your isp ... correct ?

Did they also tell you guys that you can use the other subnets aswell or do they not belong to you ? e.g 10.168.161.16, 10.168.161.32 etc...

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1264 by Raggedy_Hobo
i just got off the phone with there support ..

we have public IP's of 10.168.161.113 to 10.168.161.128

i am suppose to use NAT to give ip's to our customers!!

we were given a public block of 14 usable IP's only .. from that block, I am suppose to create a private network of ??? 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.255 for each public address????

good grief .. there's alot to this networking thing

In the beginning ...

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1265 by Raggedy_Hobo
if this is the case .. how do i bind a public IP to a private range??

also, i'm looking in the NAT section of W2k .. there are some options in there that i'm not sure on how to set .. sec, lemme read NAT section here again ..

one question about NAT ..

"private interface connected to private network"
"public interface connected to the internet"

which option would i use??

le sigh :( .. reading time again

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1266 by Chris
That's exactly what I thought, this is why I asked you to clarify what ranges and subnets your allowed to use!!!!

Now that we know what your IP Address range is, what exactly do you intend to do ?

Are your clients supose to have internet access using public IP's or private IPs ?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 6 months ago #1267 by Raggedy_Hobo
i've not read NAT section yet .. and boss isnt' here yet either ..

quick question though .. when setting up the DHCP server to use the 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.255 for the private network for the clients .. what do I use for the router number?? the public IP block that i want to assign (like, i'm able to use all IP's between 10.168.161.114 - 10.168.161.128 .. so, i'm assuming each public IP can have up to 254 clients attached .. so, for the routing IP, do i use one of the block IP's .. or do i use the actual LAN ip of the router still?)

In the beginning ...

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds