Skip to main content

pc technician who's boss won't explain things to him ..

More
20 years 6 months ago #1268 by Raggedy_Hobo
sorry :( :(

yes, all clients should have internet access *edit* using private IP's i would assume, since i'm only given 14 public *edit*

In the beginning ...

I wonder, where will this road lead me

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1271 by Raggedy_Hobo
so, in the routing table .. do i route 10.168.161.115 to 10.10.10.0 (the network address ?? or to the broadcast channel of 10.10.10.256?)

In the beginning ...

I configured and got running my first "real" network ever on October 22, 2003 at 5am THANKS to the wonderful people of www.firewall.cx/index.php
More
20 years 6 months ago #1272 by Raggedy_Hobo
i'm assuming each public IP (10.168.161.114 - 10.168.161.128) will be GW for each individual private network to which the clients will connect, correct??

i'm also assuming that with each public IP, i can create a private network containing 254 clients right that's associated to that 1 public IP .. and NAT is suppose to do this .. ??

i don't see how i bind the public IP to the private network though ..

on a side note .. my boss's boss just called me .. he's not going to make it in to work today .. i honestly think my boss is going to get fired or quit .. that's the MAIN reason i want to learn this stuff .. i want his job ..

i do all the work as is (physically, the gopher boy if you will) .. i want to be able to run it all .. just in case my hunch is correct

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1274 by Raggedy_Hobo
hypothetically speaking ..

let's say i have NAT enabled and i'm configuring it .. how many clients can use port 80?? like, say i have 20 clients on the internet at the same time .. port 80 is the default web server port (no???) .. so, can all 20 be surfing at exactly the same time??

i need to learn about ports after NAT :(

*edit*NOTE: You should be familiar with TCP/IP & UDP communications, as well as how they use various Ports in order to identify the resources/applications they are trying to use. It's very important you understand them because NAT Overload is based on these Ports in order to identify sessions between hosts. - taken from NAT pages .. *edit*

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1275 by Raggedy_Hobo
holy sweet mother of pearl!! i have 2 NIC cards installed now .. shortly .. i'll have the router connecting directly to NIC 1 .. will have NIC 2 connected to our switch which goes out to the customers ..

only problem i'm having now .. i'm unsure of myself with the setup ..

i don't feel confident i suppose .. i've got to use the routing and remote access program that comes with win 2k server ..

bunch of options to choose from in there .. :( aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh i feel so overwhelmed ..

never fear .. 3 days into networking .. i will have this network up by the end of the day (granted, i'm not sure how secure it's gonna be) we'll worry about that tomorrow! granted, our provider has a firewall between us and there network .. so .. that's nice

In the beginning ...

More
20 years 6 months ago #1277 by Raggedy_Hobo
so, with the 2 NIC card setup .. i make the 1st NIC card associated to the provider's router

i take the 2nd NIC card and set it's GW to be the IP addy of NIC 1

i then config 2nd NIC card to use NAT under Routing and Remote Access configuration wizard.

I'll put in the NAT setup to get it's DNS, WINS, DHCP resolution from NIC 1

I also specify the IP numbers I want to use for our internal private network which can be just about anything so long as it starts with 1 and ends with 255

I also setup NIC 1's DHCP table to be the public IP's given by the provider

I setup NIC 2's NAT to get it's IP's from the win2k DHCP table that i'll make for the private IP's .. this table will consist of a classfull C subnet mask!

plug it all in and go?? yes, no, close ?? do i have the gist of it ??

In the beginning ...

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds