Skip to main content

Introduce yourself

More
18 years 10 months ago #8938 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Introduce yourself
*sigh*
The Red Bulb

The story is quite simple. I stay up late -- very late, of the order of 4-5 in the morning (yes I do make it to work, though not in any condition to do anything worthwhile till at least 12 ;)).. Often when I'm up late, I am at the computer, coding, working on f.cx etc..

I found that when I stayed up without the lights on staring at the screen, I used to get a major headache.. so I chanced upon the mysterious red bulb (honestly, its just a plain red bulb).. you keep this baby on, and it bathes the room in this deep red light that doesn't wake anybody up, but at the same time (once your eyes get used to it) allows you to see everything (I'm a nocturnal creature now!) and doesn't give you a headache at the computer.

I once mentioned the red bulb to Chris, and since then its humour has been a part of official f.cx legend !

:)

Recommend you try it though, you'll never be the same again!

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
18 years 10 months ago #8939 by Biggystumps
Replied by Biggystumps on topic Re: Introduce yourself
Greetings!

Great to see a thread of everyone introducing themselves.
Im very new to this site and have spent most of my time so far reading the various articles provided.

just a quick summary of my background:
Im originally from the US but have lived and grown up in Canada most of my life. I went to College in Canada and have two diplomas one as an Electronics Technician, the other as Network Technician. I was in the Cisco Academy while doing my second diploma. After College i started doing tech support via phones, during this time i completed my MCSA and MCSE certifications.
I am now working for the same company but in thier IT Department.

I just wanted to say this site is one of the first places i check for technical data. I am just starting out in IT, but i find most of the info i am interested in on this site.

Everyone is doing a great job, and im really looking forward to the cisco lab!

Thanks all

MCSE - MCSA
2003 certified
More
18 years 10 months ago #8957 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Introduce yourself
Welcome Biggystumps!!!

.. and sahirh I'll come back at you with my lawyers if your Red bulb recommendation has any nasty side effects.......
More
18 years 10 months ago #8958 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Red Bulb
aaahhh so the fog clears. Sounds like a great idea to me. Having served in the military I know the benefits of using Red light. Honest !! infantry soldiers used to use red light in their torches. It allows you so see clearly but doesn't ruin your night sight.

However, when I can't sleep I just go downstairs and either work on my laptop using the wirefree link, play on my Playstation, or try and watch the TV (if there is anything worth watching).

Cheers

Rockape
More
18 years 10 months ago #8966 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Sleep
I can vouch for Rockape's no-sleep lifestyle, and Dalight is the same. I don't think he ever sleeps. One time years ago (before he got married) I went round his place to repair the central heating which had packed up. His bed looked like a workbench - piled up with ten or twelve old PCs in various states of dismantlement. I remarked that it would be a drag having to remove them every day at bedtime. "I don't bother" he said, "I usually fall asleep downstairs in a chair for a couple of hours then I'm up and off again"
More
18 years 10 months ago #8967 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Introduce yourself
Ahhhh..... the memories of a misspent youth....
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds