Skip to main content

Packet Generator

More
18 years 6 months ago #10462 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Packet Generator
Well with nemesis you can encapsulate any payload data in IP either from a file or through the standard input of your console -if applicable. So you can practically send anything you want. Of course it will be regarded as raw (non-sense) data, unless the remote end knows better..!

But what exactly are you trying to do? :?
More
18 years 6 months ago #10467 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic My efforts
What i am trying to do is incorporating the qualities of ATM technology onto IP packet delivery system, cannot divulge any more beyond this mate..got my reasons :wink:
so i am trying to make a new packet structure, eliminating some of the present architecture, and putting in new options to be made useful for data delivery. hope i have made it more clear for you
might sound absurd, or too ambitious, but I think its worth a try!!!

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 6 months ago #10468 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Packet Generator
So are you going to encapsulate IP into ATM cells, or are you looking into rewriting packets entirely so that they have ATM qualities? I think all of this is would not just be dependant on having a workstation that can spit out these "packets" but also the routers and switches wouldn't recognize their meaning and just drop them. Of course, if you are looking at encapsulating IP in ATM cells, this is already being done with Classical IP over ATM and LANE and MPOA. Another related subject would be MPLS, although this isn't ATM as much as it isn't IP.

A tool that should make you some ATM cells is netperf. Here's the netperf manual , looks like you'd have the recompile it to get the ATM functionality, and then I'd also assume you'd need an ATM NIC. A quick look on froogle shows an ATM NIC w/RJ-45 connector will be about $15; but I can't imagine what kind of driver support you'll be able to find on these. I hope this helped your project.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 6 months ago #10472 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic my plan
yes i am thinking in the lines of rewriting packet architecture. and i know well that it would not be sufficient to churn out these new packets out of the blue and dump them on a conventional network. that is why i plan to design routers and switches and all other networking components to work with these packets

More
18 years 6 months ago #10486 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Packet Generator
In this case you'll likely have to code your own packet generator.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 6 months ago #10489 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic yes
looking forward to some help from you in this regard, is that ok? :)

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds