Skip to main content

Packet Generator

More
18 years 6 months ago #10490 by jwj
Replied by jwj on topic Re: Packet Generator
Sorry, programming and operating systems are my weak areas. Haven't had enough schooling or experience to help you much in that regard. The generators nske linked to are open source, so perhaps you can build on them or tweak them to meet your need.

-Jeremy-
More
18 years 6 months ago #10491 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: Packet Generator
So you're talking about creating some low-level protocol for personal use. Sounds good, but are you sure you have considered everything carefully? Because finding a tool to somewhat automate the procedure of crafting packets -according to the specifications that I suppose you have already defined on paper- would be the least of your worries! The most work will still be to code the proper libraries for any software that you intend to run over your protocols and, most likely, a large part of the software itself. What ATM qualities would be worthwile of this? :?

And I don't know your exact thoughts, but why would you need to "eliminate some features of the present architecture"? Wouldn't it be easier to create your protocol to work over some existing TCP/IP protocol introducing whatever functionality you need at a higher level -and you won't be breaking compatibility with anything this way- ?
More
18 years 6 months ago #10494 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic My thoughts
yes i am actually thinking of creating a low level protocol to transpoirt packets. maybe it's a bit too much for me to handle now, with all the coding and the setup to be done regarding the various networking equipment to interact using this new protocol. yes, you are right i might do away with some of the present features of IP, introduce some new ones with the available bits, unless it becomes mission critical to retain them for functionality. my basic thoughts are to speed up the network, use resources more efficiently both at the network levels and at equipment ends, prevent information from fragmentation to avoid too much congestion due to networking overheads, and many such issues which prevents a network to work most efficiently. i know this might turn out to be a wild goose chase, and everything may fall apart, but i am still reluctant to stop now inspite of the uphill task that i have in my hands.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 6 months ago #10495 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic thanks
thanks a million Rockape, ethereal is quite good.

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
18 years 6 months ago #10499 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: Packet Generator
Arani,

Glad to help.
More
18 years 6 months ago #10502 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Packet Generator
Arani, your project sounds ambitious. Would you be able to keep us posted on your progress. I know you're a bit hesistant to share the full details, but I'll be interested to know as much as you want to reveal.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds