Skip to main content

How To Make A PC Invisible On The LAN

More
19 years 7 months ago #4970 by thompsg
I'm not sure how to make it totally invisible but you can shut off the computer browser service... This will make you not show up in the network neighbourhood or my network places.. So your talking some kinda stealth but not not really invisible...

What OS are we talking?
More
19 years 7 months ago #5047 by Dudbolt
Replied by Dudbolt on topic How invisible
The question is, how invisible do you want it to be?

There was a tweak i did when i was sysadmin at a big college that removed the workstation fro the network neighbourhood. Other than that i thing the personal firewall mentioned in the other posts would be the best route to take.

regards

Garrett
More
19 years 7 months ago #5187 by thompsg
yeah shuting off the computer browser service is what will do that.. But I guess this guy doesn't care anymore! lol
More
19 years 7 months ago #5189 by FallenZer0

yeah shuting off the computer browser service is what will do that.. But I guess this guy doesn't care anymore! lol

--If I may ask, why do you want to double post your solution. You have already mentioned to shut the browser service off. If you want to get few seconds of fame, go somewhere else, don't waste resources anymore. Get that. :twisted: :twisted:

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
19 years 7 months ago #5192 by Chris
Easy now people - let's not get worked up on these small issues! It's best to save the energy to resolve a problem, rather than create another :wink:

thompsg's suggestion to stop the computer browser service is very good. This should also stop it from registering with the network's master browser and therefore not showing up in the network places area.

Adding a personal firewall that would block all incoming connections (and pings), should prove adequate to hide it from the rest.

Closing, if all the above works out, extra care must be taken to make sure the workstation doesn't transmit any information aswell, since someone might be sniffing the network and capture its packets!

Hope that helps.

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
19 years 7 months ago #5200 by drizzle
nnbnbIt is also possible to make an ethernet cable that only allows the reception of packets. On page 6 of this whitepaper it shows the pinouts to use.

www.inetsecurity.info/downloads/papers/Snort_FreeBSD_dist.pdf
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds