Skip to main content

How To Make A PC Invisible On The LAN

More
19 years 7 months ago #5206 by nske
drizzle, wouldn't that be a bit too drastic :shock:

How would it be possible for tcp/ip connection to establish then? :D
More
19 years 7 months ago #5208 by drizzle
It really depends on what the use of the "invisible" computer is. If you want to sniff but not let anybody know you are around, then this might do the trick.
More
19 years 7 months ago #5220 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Invisible
Drizzle's right. You can use this sort of cable when putting an IDS system onto your network. The wiring fudges the Ethernet connection so that the card will come up. It can only receive packets and never transmit any
More
19 years 7 months ago #5228 by nske
Indeed! That's mostly the only practical thing that you could do with it -well perhaps also automate some simple procedures to occur locally upon receival of speciffically crafted packets-, but it's a nice idea nevertheless, I hadn't thought about it :)
More
19 years 7 months ago #5263 by thompsg

--If I may ask, why do you want to double post your solution. You have already mentioned to shut the browser service off. If you want to get few seconds of fame, go somewhere else, don't waste resources anymore. Get that.

WOW... haha calm down take a valium... The reason I even posted again at all is because I was interested in the outcome... Hardly for the fame!!!

Anyway.. thats all I have to say.. Relax FallenZero....were all friends..
More
19 years 6 months ago #5345 by FallenZer0
Hello All,

What if I disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP? That means,

-No Name Services:
-No Session Services:
-No Datagram Services:

With NetBIOS disabled, NBNS/WINS/DNS does not know the Name and the associated IP address of the host on the LAN. Doesn't this make a PC invisible on the LAN?

Do you guys think if this is a workable solution?
Comments/Criticisms from *ALL* most appreciated.

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds