Skip to main content

How To Make A PC Invisible On The LAN

More
19 years 6 months ago #5358 by sahirh
No, this does *not* make it invisible... netbios over TCP is the old deprecated way of operating, now SMB works without NetBIOS at all, its straight CIFS over TCP using port 445 as opposed to the earlier port 139. Secondly, even if a name is not registered in any of the name resolution services, the system still responds..it just means I have to talk to you by saying 'Hey you', instead of 'Hey FallenZer0'.

The system will respond to any request from the network, be it for a service, or ICMP queries...

The basic logic to follow is this:

You want the system invisible...
This implies that the system must not generate any network traffic.
You are not invisible if I sniff the LAN and see packets SOURCED from your system, I know that it exists.
Furthermore, if I ARP for your system and I get a response, that means I know it exists.

Therefore we must take this to the logical extreme... this system cannot communicate on the LAN.. just like an IDS or similar network sensor.

For this.. you can either cut the TX cables as was stated earlier -- this is the only way you can be absolutely sure..

The other way is that you don't assign the interface an IP address... and disable arp.. i dont know how this happens in windows, or if its possible at all.. in more advanced operating systems this would be as simple as

ifconfig -arp

and you are completely invisible.

Cheers.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 6 months ago #5368 by Nitix
sahir what if i have a linux box on the LAN.

is ifconfig -arp enough to make the pc invisible on the LAN ??
or is it compulsory not to assign an IP to the interface?

i need to use the network resources ( so the need to assign an IP to the interface )

i tried ifconfig -arp alone but doesnt seem to work ..

i still do find the linux box on the LAN

rgds

Nitish R
Systems Engineer
----||----||----||----
More
17 years 9 months ago #15565 by Rogo
Replied by Rogo on topic Why?
I am curious why you want to do this Fallenzero? I was thinking about a similar setup to alert a friend to the holes in his wifi. I have gotten on his network more than a few times w/o his knowledge, and last night I was in his router config. He thinks he's safe, and he tells people how "secure" his network is, but he won't listen when I tell him. His excuse is that he can "see me" if I'm on his network, (if he's at his computer... lol) and block my ip. The problem is in the time it takes him to do that, I could have already changed his router's admin password, and blocked his mac address and/or ip from connecting at all. And I'm just a computer nerd with too much free time... Not someone using it for malicious intent. Anyways, I've rambled on enough. Just curious why you intend to try this, and what the outcome was.

Rogo
More
17 years 9 months ago #15573 by Bublitz
Do you want the PC's not to show up in network neigborhood, or totaly not accessable even if you do a \\(ip address)\ ?

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
14 years 1 month ago #34027 by Scud
Hi All,

You can try this from Command Prompt and check whether it fullfill your requirement or not :- net config server /hidden:yes.

Cheers :)
More
14 years 1 month ago #34042 by Nevins
Could someone repost another link to the cable from earlier... it seems as if it could be used for other things but I can't get the page to load.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds