Skip to main content

error code: ftp folder error......

More
14 years 10 months ago #30700 by KiLLaBeE

'well if i had to sum up an assumption, i feel in general good g33ks and professionals dont like windows for anything.. they might just pretend they do but they dont..."

Gosh, what a way to put the pressure on Windows sysadmins LOL

You don't need to install AD for this...you'll just have to keep in mind that the FTP user accounts you'll be using will be authenticating with the computer's local user accounts.

I'm assuming that you're trying to upload a file from outside of your network to your FTP server that is inside of your network. I also assume that you've tried to upload the file via CLI and using Windows Explore. If my assumptions are correct, then I did have a similar issue with this a while back, and the FTP message "227 Entering Passive Mode (192.168.1.106,194 17)" does look familiar.

What was happening was this -- when I connected to my FTP server (running Windows Server 2003) by either using command prompt or another FTP client, the server would send back it's IP address to the client (192.168.1.x), and the client would try to communicate back to the server on the IP address the server provided (in your case, 192.168.1.106). Since that's a private IP address, the communicate back to the server from the client would fail for obvious reasons. I think that's just passive mode FTP in the works. Long story short, I achieved my "desire" of having FTP functionality on my server by using FileZilla Server. FileZilla Server has an option that allows you to specify how you want the server to send back its IP address -- whether to use an external web site to retrieve the IP address or some other ways. If I remember correctly as well, Windows Server 2003 DOES have an option that allows you to specify how you want the server to send back its IP address.

If you want to eliminate this as being an issue, try uploading a large file from inside of your network to the FTP server

Regarding your permissions issue...
- Check that the folder itself gives the user "write" NTFS permissions.
- Check that hte FTP virtual directory gives the user write permissions. On Windows Server 2003, you go to the properties of the virtual directory and click the Home Directory tab

As ZiPPy stated, 2008 Server is pretty new...it may have additional FTP options that restrict the size you can upload/download. I don't know, haven't touched 2008 Server yet.

This is the issue I had a while back with IIS FTP:
www.firewall.cx/ftopict-5777-ftp.html
More
14 years 10 months ago #30705 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic i have same issue....
Hey KillaBeE thanks... OK so g33ks are starting to reply me huh.

I'm assuming that you're trying to upload a file from outside of your network to your FTP server that is inside of your network. I also assume that you've tried to upload the file via CLI and using Windows Explore. If my assumptions are correct, then I did have a similar issue with this a while back, and the FTP message "227 Entering Passive Mode (192.168.1.106,194 17)" does look familiar.

Yes i same issue but the upload is from within. I checked out post which are suggesting filezilla but sometimes i wonder why i need to use a software when Microsoft has it in built. That aint tight....

S0lo,
There's surely more to FTP than what's typically explained

True talk.

I have done all the active and PASv thing..

I don't have a problem accessing the ftp sight, i have set my permissions and when a user logs on, it takes him or her to her own folder. (i love that) but my night mare is uploading a file that is more than 50mb or so. >=

IIS7 is with FTP pub 7 is what i updated from Microsoft. I actually downloaded a .MSI from Microsoft.

Its works fine just this issue of uploading... arrrrhhhh so vexing.

KillaB3E if it goes on like this then i might just have to let users sen only documents and other light files. but i will still use AD. cos u know with AD anything goes in. even 24gb.

do u know i even enabled port 5500 - 5520 on my firewall and on the router port forwarding and etc....

how to i get it to work from outta network? cos i have tried all sorts. ok i enabled remote connections with some default port i saw there 8172........

Zippy and KillaBeE thanks so much, timparker much thanks to and big_g gracias.

I still stand on my assumption on windows OS in general KillaBeE.

i am hungry got to go....

code3 is red and hot

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 10 months ago #30708 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic i read again....
hey i read another post and someone says compress all the files with win rar and send as one file well as of now i speak i just uploaded 217mb. i did not alter any of my settings may be there is some spirit from Microsoft...

but i will try compressing and spliting as someone in some technet forum on Microsoft suggested then upload. cos i want to be able to upload in gb's..

now i open my command prompt and type ftp localhost and it says connection closed by remote host? why? well may be the situation is getting better cos then it says it can not even find my user name or something when i try to log on. Please how can i fix this closed by remote host thing...

and secondly how can i make this available so i can access it outside this network.

will keep u abreast the situation.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
14 years 10 months ago #30715 by S0lo

hey i read another post and someone says compress all the files with win rar and send as one file well as of now i speak i just uploaded 217mb. i did not alter any of my settings may be there is some spirit from Microsoft...

but i will try compressing and spliting as someone in some technet forum on Microsoft suggested then upload. cos i want to be able to upload in gb's..

There seams to be a 4gb file size limit, But the issue is listed for IIS 4.0 which is very old. support.microsoft.com/kb/185093/en-us . I can't find another reason why it can't send large files :?. I'm guessing it's another limit on the FTP client may be

Any way, since you were able to send the 217mb file, this guarantees that it's not a permissions nor a connectivity issue. Although it sounded like a permissions problem at first glance.

now i open my command prompt and type ftp localhost and it says connection closed by remote host? why?

Not sure why, I'd restart the server as a first aid, but I'm not sure also what your trying to do? Your doing ftp from the server to itself? Or am I missing some thing here :?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
14 years 10 months ago #30716 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: i have same issue....

I checked out post which are suggesting filezilla but sometimes i wonder why i need to use a software when Microsoft has it in built. That aint tight....

I sometimes ask myself the same thing :-D...but if someone else is making an alternative, then there HAS to be a reason why ;-)...but that's a discussion for another time.

now i open my command prompt and type ftp localhost and it says connection closed by remote host? why?

What ports do you have the FTP server listening on? Do you have any security settings specified on the FTP server that only allows connections from specific IP addresses/domains?

To get FTP to work externally, you just have to port forward the appropriate ports on the firewall/router to the server, but you can run into the complications I described earlier. First try to get FTP to work internally before you move forward.

If I find time sometime in the future, I'll see if I can install 2008 Server on one of my machines.
More
14 years 10 months ago #30719 by ZiPPy
What kind of network are you running? Can you explain the topology? The pipe size? ect...

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds