Skip to main content

vista or xp!!

More
16 years 6 months ago #23862 by rickardo
vista or xp!! was created by rickardo
HI ..recently got a new laptop(good spec)with vista...very flowery and gimmicky,but spent a considerable time trying to install my printer!!!..the printer was faily new(lexmark) and tried with the software and with the downloaded drivers.It would not have it,so I took it back(thank god it wasn't pc world}...just wondering wether to stick with the old xp when I replace it...what do you guys think?..cheers rick
More
16 years 6 months ago #23863 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: vista or xp!!
I'm on XP for at least 2 years more. until really powerful PCs are available to be able to run the army of processes that show up on vista's task manager and come just out of the box.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 6 months ago #23864 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: vista or xp!!
I've been running vista since its release and although I agree thats it gimicky i do quite like it. There are loads of processes that run, doing various things however i don't really have any issues with performance (i have quite a good spec'd PC and Laptop though).

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23872 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: vista or xp!!
I wanted to hate Vista too, but I think I was just ready for a change. To me, Vista just seems like XP with a different theme. I have also ran into problems with printers, but this was mostly caused by the printer company not supplying a driver fast enough. Not really Vista's fault.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23875 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: vista or xp!!
I noticed something -- initially, a lot of people criticized XP's performance, security, stability, etc because XP still had roots to Win9x. The people hoped and believed that to truely achieve a better Windows OS, a rebuild was necessary. The people got what they asked for -- Vista was pretty much the rebuild, but now the people complain of Vista's changes, performance, etc.

I prefer XP. I don't feel like going into details as to why I dislike Vista, though, hehe. At least I approached Vista optimistically, with an open-mind back when I first got it, though, hehe.

My ideas of what changes/add-ons are needed to make a "better" OS is different than Microsoft's ideas -- I think that is where my dislike stems from.
More
16 years 5 months ago #23877 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: vista or xp!!
I was extremely sceptical about Vista at first. I usually wait until the first Service Pack is released before using a new Microsoft OS. I however took the dive a few months ago with my main work PC. I treated myself to a new PC at the same time with 4GB of RAM and it's absolutely fantastic. Of all the programs normally installed on my PCs, only one would not work with Vista and I found a suitable replacement. On the whole I would say it's been worthwhile, but I would recommend getting a lot of RAM.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds