Skip to main content

Manage Windows User Accounts

More
17 years 9 months ago #15845 by Alans
When installing Windows XP on a computer (or start a new computer for the first time, with Windows XP pre-installed), you are walked through the process of creating a user account. The first user account is the Computer Administrator account for the computer. The initial account has administrative abilities such as the ability to create new users (or delete users) and maintain the Windows operating system, including making changes to the system settings and adding and removing software and hardware.

After that when i taked a look at the:

rightclick on my computer>>manage>>local users and groups>>users

i noted that there is tow administrator users on the computer: one i created when i started my windows for the first time, and another already exist on the cmputer named "Administrator" without any password!!!

Here is the question: what is happen if logged as "Administrator" and deleted the other administrator user that i created? is there any problems with thatt? and what's the benifit from having tow administrator users?

Thanx

always Face your Fears...
More
17 years 9 months ago #15860 by eylli
nothing at all. I think this is a must. This is a security issue also because if the administrator account if doesnot have a password any attaker out on the net will try this as a way of accessing your computer.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15875 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic admin rights
hi,
when you login to your computer you are asked to create a new account so that you can login later as that user. but to be able to sign in for the first time you need to have some sort of access to be able to do so!!! hence the OS has a default login for administrator with no password. once you have entered into the OS interfaces, you are urged to create the new account. the default account still resides in your computer, and it is always advisable to set a password for it to avoid confusion.
as for security purposes, the chance of someone hacking into your pc is slim if you are not connected to any sort of network. either way you pc needs to be turned on for anything to happen while you are away from it. if you keep on using that administrator login with no password, you will be inviting trouble, whether or not you are on a network. create a proper user profile using that login for the first time. do not delete it, only password protect it for future use. you never know when you need to enter your system with administrator privileges

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
More
17 years 8 months ago #15880 by Rockape
Like Arani said

don't use the default administrator account. Give it a password that you won't forget after time, and leave it there. The benefit of having two accounts, is that you can do all your stuff with your own administrator account. But, should the worst come to pass and you forget your password, or your account gets corrupted you will still have an account that you can use to get onto the PC.

So,

Keep both accounts, but make sure they are both password controlled.
More
17 years 8 months ago #15901 by FallenZer0

is that you can do all your stuff with your own administrator account.

Rockape:

Excuse me, if I'm mis-interpreting your statement and feel free to correct me.

But, are you suggesting the OP to use admin account to do *ALL* his stuff? Why not a Limited Account for day-to-day activities?

FallenZer0

-There Is A Foolish Corner In The Brain Of The Wisest Man- Aristotle
More
17 years 8 months ago #15910 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic accounts
hi there,
all rockape and I meant was, use the original password-less administrator login to create an account for daily use. this new account is password protected. then login as the original password-less administrator and create a password for it as well. so now you have two account. a daily user account which allows to carry on daily activities (i.e. watching a movie, writing a word document, playing a game, and other such mundane tasks), and keep the administrator account for safekeeping. if on a bad day you forget your account password for the daily use account, then you can always use the administrator account to login and change the password for the daily use account. now if you have forgotten the password for the administrator account, then its tough luck!!! post a message in this forum and we will sort you out :wink:

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds