Skip to main content

linux ....linux ...linux

More
20 years 5 months ago #1790 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: linux ....linux ...linux
I agree with Sahirh. It would be best to go to redhat 9, only if you can find a good beginners book on it.

You might want to get both, 9 and the O'Reilly book (which uses RH8), to get your feet wet. You can really go through the book in about 2 days and get a good feel for it. Then move up to 9. Even with the nice new features, you still will need to know the basics of linux itself, which I don't think have changed much ( I could be wrong about this, however).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1798 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: linux ....linux ...linux
nnbnbHmmm this post got lost in the site move... but basically what I'd said was you can get the Redhat Linux 9 Bible
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764539388?v=glance

Its a really really good book (I'm planning on picking up a copy for myself) and will cover just about anything you wanna do with Redhat. It also comes with a special distribution of Redhat 9 on CDs, it includes packages not found on the regular distribution.

All in all it would be a very good buy for you.. because it will give you whats supposed to be the top book on Shrike (RH9) and give you the OS as well to play around with.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy RH9 is to install, setup and use.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3504 by indebluez
hi guys redhat linux or mandrake? for a newbie...
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3505 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Re: linux ....linux ...linux
Mandrake is recommended for people who haven't used linux before. Once you feel comfortable with it and have learn't your way around the operating system, you can then move to something more advanced like redhat, slackware or bsd.

Cheers,

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3507 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: linux ....linux ...linux
For newbies:

www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-old-en.html

Boot knoppix from a CD, don't touch your existing system, and use Linux just as if it was installed on your machine. Use it as a Windows rescue disc, carry it to a friends place or to work.. blah blah.. I love Knoppix

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 weeks ago #3563 by indebluez
hi sahir,

see i go to this site, public.planetmirror.com/pub/knoppix/
but there are so many files....do i jus download the
KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-09-EN.iso

or all the txt files as well.?
also i have been tryin to burn mandrake iso as an image...using nero...and it says successful but actually theres nothin..and my notebk hangs rigth after i try to check whether theres stuff in the cd...help plz...
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds