Skip to main content

Untraceable - The movie.

More
16 years 3 months ago #24988 by TheBishop
Two words to sum up improbable IT in movies:
Independence Day
The guy manages to hack into an alien mainframe using nothing more than a Macbook and a wireless transmitter (lucky them aliens used IEEE-compatible wireless and hadn't bothered with any encryption). Then he uploads a virus (lucky them aliens were running Windows) which ran first time without any debugging (luckily all alien code is of course written in C++) and took over their entire system (luckily he got root access without even having to supply a username or password). That guy must be superman; I sometimes struggle to get two native IP hosts to talk to eachother!
More
16 years 3 months ago #24990 by skepticals
Whoa, whoa, whoa...

MACs are that good, just ask Zippy.

I can't believe you think it is fake... how many aliens have you met? All the ones I know write in C++.
More
16 years 3 months ago #25000 by KiLLaBeE

Two words to sum up improbable IT in movies:
Independence Day
The guy manages to hack into an alien mainframe using nothing more than a Macbook and a wireless transmitter (lucky them aliens used IEEE-compatible wireless and hadn't bothered with any encryption). Then he uploads a virus (lucky them aliens were running Windows) which ran first time without any debugging (luckily all alien code is of course written in C++) and took over their entire system (luckily he got root access without even having to supply a username or password). That guy must be superman; I sometimes struggle to get two native IP hosts to talk to eachother!

Priceless! LOL :-D
More
16 years 3 months ago #25007 by toddwoo
Come ON...!!!

Firewall, you can hack into a bank with an MP3 player... didn't you know that?
More
16 years 3 months ago #25009 by TheBishop
Nah, he used random bits nicked out of a fax machine as well. That makes it infinitely more plausible
More
16 years 3 months ago #25010 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Untraceable - The movie.
I know Mac's are that good! I know Skepticals I know!!! :D

I don't know about this movie, but at least it has "some" computer gEEkness, or does it? I will have to find out when it's released on DVD. Not going to pay $10.50 to watch that one in theaters.

Now if it was Antitrust ....oooooh now we are talking. That's probably the most realistic they are going to get with computer movies. I wish they would make one that really was serious and showed the IT/IS side of things. To the full effect!

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds