Skip to main content

Two Class C Networks?

More
20 years 5 months ago #1909 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
Okay, I just talked to my boss. I lied. I assumed they were in different locations. But they are just going to be in different suites. So I have two class "C" licenses, and he wants everyone to have a public address. So that means

Suite #101
105 end users

Suite #102
45 end users

Suite #103
75 end users

Suite #104
75 end users

ALL of the end users have to have Public IP addresses. That is the real problem. So how can I subnet the two class c networks to do that? (yes both of the class c networks are public networks)
again thanks for the help

Thanks
More
20 years 5 months ago #1911 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
As I said, I don't think you can do it. Even with no subnetting, you wouldn't have enough. 3 of the suites would need a whole address and you only have 2.

Why does everyone need a public address?

Also, what are you doing for security - firewall, ACLs?

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1913 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
Tom is right knight (hey that rhymes ;)) there aren't enough IPs available for the scenario your boss has given you. I'm not gonna get into the subnet math as tom as already explained it above and I'm sure you already know it..

but you're looking at providing IPs for 310 addresses right ? I think your boss has miscommunicated something to you.

Also, why would you need 310 public ip addresses, it doesn't seem to make sense.. more likely it would be private addresses. This matters because with private addressing, you have really large private ranges :

10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
192.168.x.x

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1921 by Kn1ght
The problem I have having is that I need to combine the two class "c" networks. That is all that I am having problem with. You can't do that with supernetting Cidr? I have 310 people and I need to get them so they can all talk to each other. That shouldn't be impossible..... And just public for sake of the senerio.

Thanks guys.

Kn1ght :shock:

Thanks
More
20 years 5 months ago #1926 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
Ok I'm not sure if I'm understanding this very well.. you have two FULL class C networks available.. and they are routable.

And you want 310 people to be divided in groups of 4 with this address space ? You can't do that in groups of 4.. if you subdivided one of those addresses into 2 subnets you'd only be able to fit 62 hosts in each subnet. If you do this with the other address as well, you'd be able to accomodate 248 people with 4 subnets.

If you don't need the people logically divided then why don't you just assign the first 253 to one class C address space and the remainder to the other.. save one IP for the router interfaces in each network and then route between them.

Assuming your Class C addresses were 192.168.5.x and 192.168.6.x you would have :

Network 1:
Router : 192.168.5.1
Hosts : 192.168.5.2-254

Network 2:
Router 192.168.6.1
Hosts : 192.168.6.2-254

I've used private addresses to illustrate the concept, but it could be public addresses.

Though somehow this whole situation feels wierd. And my proposal feels like how you feel when you walk on a moonwalk...
uhm.. disregard the last line ;)

Somebody call Chris... legend has it he thinks of families in subnets !
"Oh I think I'll invite the 203.197.5.0/27 's to dinner tonight."

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 5 months ago #1929 by Kn1ght
Okay, I do apologize for trying to talk before I knew all the facts. That is how I was planning on doing it, with your example. The only problem that I am finding, again is how would I get
Network 1:
Router : 192.168.5.1
Hosts : 192.168.5.2-254

Network 2:
Router 192.168.6.1
Hosts : 192.168.6.2-254

to talk to each other? Wouldn't I have to supernet it?

Thanks
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds