Skip to main content

Two Class C Networks?

More
20 years 5 months ago #1892 by Kn1ght
Two Class C Networks? was created by Kn1ght
In Theory how would you subnet mask two class C networks together? Say you had like 300 people at four different sites. How could you combine the two addresses?

Thanks

Kn1ght the confused. :(

Thanks
More
20 years 5 months ago #1894 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
Are these addresses already set up?

Are they private?

How are the 4 sites connected?

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1902 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
The Addresses have been assigned. (this is all in theory I am suppose to draw a diagram, like the one Chris has on this site. VERY cool by the way)
Sites would be in different areas.

115 end users in site A
75 in site B
75 in site C
45 in site D

This is all in Theory, a project my boss gave me to work with. So I suppose I could say they are private or Not private. The four sites AREN'T connected, that is what I'm trying to do. Heh.

Thanks
More
20 years 5 months ago #1905 by tfs
Chris or Sahirh might have some ideas, but I need to know what your situation is.

You said you have 2 class C networks but 4 sites that are not connected.

How are you going to connect them? I assume you want them all talking together.

It sounds like you already have 2 networks. Is this already working on 2 sites and you want to combine them and add 2 more? If this is the case, are the 2 sites that already have the addresses connected and talking to each other?

Are the networks you already have public or private? Do you have 2 Class C addresses that have been subnetted?

Do you have a diagram of how it is set up now and one on what the new situation is?

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 5 months ago #1907 by Kn1ght
Replied by Kn1ght on topic Re: Two Class C Networks?
I have four imaginary areas that I need to subnet mask together.

I am not sure how I am going to connect them together, that is the main reason I'm here. :)

There are no networks, it is all theory. So I have nothing. My boss wants me to draw a diagram, so no I don't have one that is the whole point of this exersize. But I get confused with how I could use two class "c"s and make everyone talk to each other. It is all imaginary so whatever is easier public or private. :)

I hope this is all the info that you needed.

Thanks everyone for caring. I haven't been on this site long but I REALLY like how everything is explained. This is the first time I even found/used the forums. It looks really good. No one belittles people for not knowing. They just help them. Chris, Kewl site so what I have seen man!

Kn1ght

Thanks
More
20 years 5 months ago #1908 by tfs
This is my confusion. Why 2 class C networks? Why not 4?

If you only have 2 class C, you won't be able to subnet them equally to handle the situation you want. Here is why:

To subnet a class C you need to "borrow" bits from the last octet to use for the network address. This will cut down the number of hosts you can use and you will lose a couple of hosts for each bit you borrow.

[code:1]
The total hosts on a non subnetted class C network is 254.

Last Octet.
Left side Right side #Networks #Hosts
1 bit - 1 1111111 0 0 Illegal
2 bits - 11 11111 2 62
3 bits - 111 11111 6 30
4 bits - 1111 1111 14 14
5 bits - 11111 111 30 6
6 bits - 111111 11 62 2
7 bits - 1111111 1 0 0 illegal
[/code:1]

The most amount of hosts you can have in any subnet (for a class C) is 62.

What you could do is take one of the address and NAT it to a class B address 172.

Now depending on how you are going to connect (t1, cable, dsl, etc), you could use VPN to set up 4 networks and have them talk to each other this way.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds