Skip to main content

Question/problem for internet networking doods

More
20 years 6 months ago #1452 by oltouch
Some more info:
I am getting seperate ips and they can ping each other while the internet is down
More
20 years 6 months ago #1454 by tfs
You said that with one connected to the router (and router connected to Cable Modem ?) you can see the internet. Then when you connect the 2nd computer, they both shut off until you reboot the router.

What happens then?

With both computers connected to your router and you reboot, can the 2 machines at this point talk to the internet or to each other?

I mentioned in your PM that you might want to directly connect a couple of computers (if you can) and work from there to find out if this is a switch or router issue.

You say that they can all see each other (2 wireless and one wired). Is this after you reboot the computer? Can any of them see the internet at this point?

How is the router wired? I assume the modem is going to the WAN port and the wired is in one of the other ports: 1-4.

What are the IPs of each computer and what are the OSs, not really necessary, except for the configuration of the router. Also, how is the Router configured (Wan address as well as Lan Address).

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1455 by oltouch
Ok, I believe I have figured it out:

The problem was a router problem: I had to reset and reconfigure the router a couple times (thanks to the help of the people at SMC) It was issuing ips corretly.

So I think I have it; I will keep you updated as the days go on.

Thanks
More
20 years 6 months ago #1456 by tfs
That's great.

Glad to hear it.

We'd be interested in how it all works out and what the problem was.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1463 by oltouch
New updates:

Seconds after I posted that message, it crashed again. Now, I successfully am on 2 computers, but once my roomate gets on his laptop, it crashes. I am not completely sure what the problem is. I think I may need a new router.

Updates soon
More
20 years 6 months ago #1465 by sahirh
Phew I hope this gets sorted... wouldn't want Tom pulling another 'Raggedy' on us would we :)

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds