Skip to main content

Question/problem for internet networking doods

More
20 years 6 months ago #1469 by tfs
Oh, come on, that was fun.

Oltouch, can you give us the answers the questions I asked a couple of posts before.

Also, are you able to wire more that one computer to the Router Switch or are you only able to use the wireless for the other 2 computers?

When you have one of the wireless computers talking to the internet, does turning on the wired computer cause you the problem? I don't think we determined that, just that when you turned on one computer and then a 2nd one you had the problem, not which ones they were.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1505 by oltouch
Ill try to answer your problems as best I can:

You said that with one connected to the router (and router connected to Cable Modem ?) you can see the internet. Then when you connect the 2nd computer, they both shut off until you reboot the router.

What happens then?

I have to reset the router in order for 1 computer to work properly again

With both computers connected to your router and you reboot, can the 2 machines at this point talk to the internet or to each other?

They cant connect to the internet. But they can connect to the network.

You say that they can all see each other (2 wireless and one wired). Is this after you reboot the computer? Can any of them see the internet at this point?

Yes it is after I power cycle the router and shut the computers down. When more than 1 computer is on, none of them can see the internet. At the same time, however, they can see each other through the network. There is Network connectivity, just not internet connectivity.

How is the router wired? I assume the modem is going to the WAN port and the wired is in one of the other ports: 1-4.

The cable from the cable modem goes to the WAN port. My desktop which is wired goes into port 1.

What are the IPs of each computer and what are the OSs, not really necessary, except for the configuration of the router. Also, how is the Router configured (Wan address as well as Lan Address).

The Ips of the computer differ as they are turned on. The ip is 192.168.2.100-199

Also, are you able to wire more that one computer to the Router Switch or are you only able to use the wireless for the other 2 computers?

I can wire 2 computers at once but the outcome is still the same, it crashes.

When you have one of the wireless computers talking to the internet, does turning on the wired computer cause you the problem? I don't think we determined that, just that when you turned on one computer and then a 2nd one you had the problem, not which ones they were.

The internet on the wired computer does NOT cause the problem. It doesn't matter in which order they are turned on. Laptop, wired.
wired, laptop.
laptop, laptop

They all crash once the 2nd computer is online
More
20 years 6 months ago #1506 by oltouch
****UPDATE****

We had all 3 computer on the internet successfully. Then after about 5 minutes they slowed down tremendously. I pinged yahoo.com and my ping was just under 3000 on all computer. Then after about 2 more minutes, they shut off. Then we tried it again and it went back to the old problem of disconnecting when there is more than 1 computer.
More
20 years 6 months ago #1508 by tfs

We had all 3 computer on the internet successfully. Then after about 5 minutes they slowed down tremendously. I pinged yahoo.com and my ping was just under 3000 on all computer. Then after about 2 more minutes, they shut off. Then we tried it again and it went back to the old problem of disconnecting when there is more than 1 computer.

Who is we? Are you talking about SMC? You said you were talking to them the other day and they got it working. You say you got all 3 running and then after about 5 minutes they slowed down. Did this happen while you were talking to SMC? If so, what did they say about it.

In your last post you said your access to the internet slowed down to 3000ms. What about pinging each computer? Does the speed there slow down? What about doing stuff on your computer that doesn't necessitate, access to the network, such as word or a game. Does the computer run slower there also?

I assume your LAN side of the SMC router is set to 192.168.2.1? I would set my other machines to something like 192.168.2.10, 192.168.2.11 and 192.168.2.12 with the gateway of 192.168.2.1 and use the same DNS entries in your router.

You also said that the wired computer does not cause the problem, but then you said:

The internet on the wired computer does NOT cause the problem. It doesn't matter in which order they are turned on. Laptop, wired.
wired, laptop.
laptop, laptop

So I assume that if a wireless computer is on and talking to the internet and you start the wired computer, the wirelese computer will start to slow down. If this is the case, it is not a wireless conflict.

In the above scenario, where you turn the wired computer on - does the wired computer actually have to try to access the internet for this to happen or does it happen when the wired computer doesn't do anything and is just on?

I know this is a lot of questions, but it is difficult to diagnose without actually being there. It is possible that the router has a problem. I was going to suggest you reset the router, but you said SMC had you do that the other day.

One of the things I would do is to turn off DHCP. You really don't need it if you only have 3 computers - I don't think this is the problem, just one less thing to worry about.

I am trying to rule out the possibility that the router is bad, which it may be.

It would be a good test to do 2 wired computers to the router and not using the wireless computers at all, just to see if the router is working correctly. That would point to a wireless problem.

Can you give us the configuration of the device? Mainly looking at the WAN, LAN, Wireless, NAT, and Firewall settings.

Ain't troubleshooting fun?

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 6 months ago #1510 by oltouch

Who is we? Are you talking about SMC? You said you were talking to them the other day and they got it working. You say you got all 3 running and then after about 5 minutes they slowed down. Did this happen while you were talking to SMC? If so, what did they say about it.

I mean my roomate and myself. I haven't talked to SMC. When I talked to SMC they just made me reset my do a hard reset of the router. It worked for a minute then back to the same old same old.

Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:59 am Post subject:

Quote:

In your last post you said your access to the internet slowed down to 3000ms. What about pinging each computer? Does the speed there slow down? What about doing stuff on your computer that doesn't necessitate, access to the network, such as word or a game. Does the computer run slower there also?

I am quite sure the computers can ping each other quickly. The internet is the only problem.

I assume your LAN side of the SMC router is set to 192.168.2.1? I would set my other machines to something like 192.168.2.10, 192.168.2.11 and 192.168.2.12 with the gateway of 192.168.2.1 and use the same DNS entries in your router.

I've tried that already.

So I assume that if a wireless computer is on and talking to the internet and you start the wired computer, the wirelese computer will start to slow down. If this is the case, it is not a wireless conflict

No its not the wireless.

In the above scenario, where you turn the wired computer on - does the wired computer actually have to try to access the internet for this to happen or does it happen when the wired computer doesn't do anything and is just on?

You have to try to get on the internet for it to fail.

I know this is a lot of questions, but it is difficult to diagnose without actually being there. It is possible that the router has a problem. I was going to suggest you reset the router, but you said SMC had you do that the other day.

Its NOT the problem with the router. I also thought this. I went and bought a Linksys wireless router and the same problem occured. I am going to stick with the SMC router though.

It would be a good test to do 2 wired computers to the router and not using the wireless computers at all, just to see if the router is working correctly. That would point to a wireless problem.

Sorry for not clarifying, but thats what we did. When the 3 computers were on, they were wired. Not wireless. They all worked for a while then the connections all shut off. I tried rebooting everything, and the same old 2 computer connected problem was still present. I also thought it was a wireless problem at that point, but I guess not.

Ain't troubleshooting fun?

:x :x :x :x :x :x If it involves slowing down my web based C++ class, no 8)
More
20 years 6 months ago #1511 by tfs
If you have tried a linksys router and SMC router and have the same problem, then the problem seems to be with the ISP or your setup. Especially if you have tried it with Wired computers.

I would really need to see the routers configuration. With the Linksys, it is pretty straight forward, if you use the quick start method and don't use the wireless part at all and use just wired computers. I have used 5 different routers and have had no problems with them. If you could give me the configuration on the Linksys router (I assume it is a wireless router and not a wireless Access Point).

It should be something like this on the setup page. This is one I use on my setup page on my old VPN router which will be a little different as you will have wireless settings such as WEP:

[code:1]
Router Name:
Domain Name:
Time Zone: Pacific
Lan IP Address: 192.168.122.1 gateway for your workstations

WAN Connection type: Static IP Yours might be DHCP,PPPOE, etc
Specify WAN Address: 66.218.15.20 From your ISP - Blank if DHCP
Default Gateway: 66.218.15.1 From ISP if not DHCP
DNS (required): 66.150.20.5 Get from ISP if not DHCP
66.150.20.6 Get from ISP if not DHCP
[/code:1]

This is essentially the same on all the Linksys routers I have seen. If you set it up this way, it should work. You may not be able to if you are using PPPOE, as that has some different settings (passwords). I would need to know where yours differs.

If you could show how you have your Linksys setup, I might be able to see something.

If your configuration is set up correctly, it would seem to be something with your ISP - which we may be able to tell after seeing the config.

Thanks,

Tom
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds