Skip to main content

Which Firewall shall i use?

More
20 years 7 months ago #969 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Which Firewall shall i use?
Without knowing netwarerulars budget or use (home or business), it's a little hard to suggest a good one.

These boxes are all good boxes, if in the budget ballpark.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 7 months ago #975 by Chris
Regarding the PIX Firewalls you guys might be interested in knowing that they are not what they seem to be!

Most people, including myself until recently, think that they are some type of custom made hardware... when in fact they are simply PII (in most cases) PC's!

Opening one up will reveal a normal motherboard with a few special cards pluged into the ISA and PCI slots.

One of these cards is used as NVRAM memory to store the configuration, while at the same time contains Flash memory to store the Cisco PIX IOS!

We have a pix firewall at work and I opened it up to confirm this and its true!

You guys can check out a good friend's site, who has some good information about this and also provides pictures:

www.packetattack.com/frankenpix.html

Enjoy!

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 7 months ago #997 by sahirh
Ooh blimey .. so cisco simply gives you a normal machine in a nice black box and charges you a bomb :) I wish I could hang around till nobody's at work and then rip open a catalyst 2900 switch and tell you what its guts are ;)

btw packetattack rocks

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 7 months ago #1001 by Manip
I have a cisco PIX 501 only cost £50 ($70~) works wonderful. Took me ages to setup thou

I use it to protect me from my server.....
More
20 years 7 months ago #1003 by Chris
MAnip,

Did you pickup the PIX from ebay ?

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 7 months ago #1005 by sahirh
Manip, judging by your network diagram it looks like you're sacrificing that RH9 server.. how come you don't shove another NIC in the firewall and DMZ it ?

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds