Skip to main content

Which Firewall shall i use?

More
20 years 7 months ago #1006 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Which Firewall shall i use?
I'd like to know where he got it from also.

I'd love to get my hands on one for that price.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 7 months ago #1008 by sahirh
Yeah for $70 ! Thats a really kickass deal ! I'd buy one at that price just to open it and look around inside !

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 7 months ago #1010 by Manip

Manip, judging by your network diagram it looks like you're sacrificing that RH9 server.. how come you don't shove another NIC in the firewall and DMZ it ?

Cheers,

The Linksys router already has NAT tech. Also I only forward the ports I need... But if someone was to compromise Apache or PHP on the RH9 server (or previously sendmail etc) then they would be blocked from getting to my windows boxes. The firewall is setup to stop the RH 9 server from contacting any machine except my machine on that side of the firewall and my machine has no shares and doesn't have file and print sharing running at all. (Is up-to-date according to "Microsoft update" :roll: )

The firewall its self came from a liquidation auction, basically the company had gone bust and you bid on all the stuff they are selling. (real auction, not online)
More
20 years 7 months ago #1012 by Chris
I think a Cisco PIX and Catalyst switch will be next on my list :)

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
20 years 7 months ago #1022 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: Which Firewall shall i use?
If you get any good deals on them let me know.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 7 months ago #1026 by sahirh
Manip, the router level NAT and port forwarding makes sense then...
hmm it might be nice for all of us to swap router ACLs.. or perhaps iptables / ipchains rules ?

I'm still ploughing my way through iptables, and seeing explanations of other peoples rules always helps.

Chris, the catalyst 2900XL series switches are really cool. We have them at work, which was the first place I got to see a switched network close up. Switching technology is just awesome.. theres nothing nicer than seeing the wiring closet with 10-15 switches in it, and all the LEDs blinking in the dark.. its better than Christmas ;)

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds