Skip to main content

firewall choices

More
20 years 4 months ago #1924 by tfs
Replied by tfs on topic Re: firewall choices
Depends on whether you want a personal firewall or hardware.

What is best for you is a personal issue.

Many like the personal firewall, such as zonealarm.

I prefer the hardware solution since the prices are so cheap. I like the linksys firewall (sonicwall for the more expensive one). But there are other firewalls that cost about the same.

Thanks,

Tom
More
20 years 4 months ago #1927 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: firewall choices
I assume you have a notebook because you travel.. or at least need mobility... in which case you can't lug around a hardware solution (no matter how pretty the PIX looks ;))

For you a personal firewall like Zonealarm ( www.zonelabs.com ) or Sygate Personal Firewall should be fine.

Cheers.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #1935 by mafiozos_
Replied by mafiozos_ on topic thnx
ok guys! tnx for helping me!
More
20 years 4 months ago #2004 by TomaHawK
Replied by TomaHawK on topic Re: firewall choices
this might be interesting for windows users:
kerio personal firewall is okay too. the trouble i had with it, now don´t laugh, is that when i wanted to install Starcraft it surpressed
the install-screen!!! So then i changed to Sygate Personal Firewall and "swooosh" it work nicely now i setup my emule and "plop" it crashes 1-2 mins after startup due to the sygate personal firewall.
So here i install Norton Personal Firewall and bleh it fucks everything up. Dont use any norton products! The thing i like about Personal Firewalls is that they usually (at least with windows personal firewall) watrn u whenever a programm u haven´t set any rules for tries to start up a connection. I myself use a di-604 router from dlink and Sygate Personal Firewall + Norman Anti Virus (yes i am running on a tight budget and i am to stupid to rtfm for *nix systems) it works nice and smooth except for the emule thinggie =(

--
best regards
TomaHawK

all errors are intended, correction will lead to sudden death
More
20 years 4 months ago #2012 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: firewall choices
Tomahawk, you should check out Zonealarm if you haven't tried it yet.. I'm usually the first one to advocate software that is full of configuration options that you'll never need (I'm one of those crazy types who wishes that the windows kernel had native packet filtering ;))

But honestly.. for its whole 'dumbed down' interface, zonealarm is remarkably efficient.. in fact irritatingly so... whenever I'm doing some fancy packet juggling I have to turn it off because its really strict with anythign other than legitimate traffic.

I second your opinion on Norton Personal Firewall.. I was very disappointed.. not to mention Norton Systemworks has been getting worse with every release ! The only reason I carry a flag for the Norton camp is that I've been using Peter Nortons stuff from the days of Norton Commander (you guys remember it ? The first multipane file manager.. right from DOS) Now that was quality software.. I think its way better than windows explorer as a file manager...

I've never tried Kerio though..perhaps I'll give it a shot

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2020 by TomaHawK
Replied by TomaHawK on topic Re: firewall choices
hmmm i used zonealarm back in the days and was very disapointed with it, maybe i should give it another shot. Kerio is quiet nice, but if someone or something stands beside me and Starcraft i am going berserk :) About Norton you are so right, but the Norton Commander was some leet piece of tool to have! I even used it with os/2 =)...if i remember right, but thats so long ago.

all errors are intended, correction will lead to sudden death
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds