Skip to main content

CCNA Lab setup (on a budget)

More
15 years 2 months ago #29145 by skepticals
Honestly, I would not purchase anything if you are getting your CCNA. The GNS3 runs real IOSs and supports everything you will need. If you are going for a CCNP, you may need more than GNS3.

Personally, I purchased several 2950 switches and 2600 routers off of ebay for my lab. Now that I am going for my CCNP, I have several 3550 layer 3 switches.

For the CCNA, I would go with GNS3 or some cheap 2950s and 2600 routers.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29177 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic gr8 ideas here....
gr8 ideas here i have been thinking of starting up a cisco lab too so to enable those prepping for CCNA come and get their hands dirty. i love the ideas i am seeing and the hints... all come in handy with mine.

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 2 months ago #29179 by ZiPPy
I'm a total hardware and networking guy. If I have the chance to build a real life lab, I'm all for it. I started my lab from the following site below. They have some nice packages for exactly what you need. I just picked up the extra switches and routers I needed from ebay.

What's also nice about CiscoKits is that they send you everything you need (i.e. cables, IOS cd, cards ect...)

www.ciscokits.com/

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
15 years 2 months ago #29187 by timparker
Nice site. Thanks for the link. I will be checking them out.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29192 by talk2sp
Replied by talk2sp on topic NICE ONE THERE ZIPPY......
nice site...

BORN TO BE GREAT

c0de - 3
Take Responsibility! Don't let failures define you
More
15 years 2 months ago #29200 by Elohim
GNS3/Dynamips will be more than sufficient for your CCNA. Actually, for the CCNA, you just need packet tracer as someone suggested. GNS3/dynamips runs the Cisco IOS. You can get the latest and greatest cisco IOS, currently 12.4 for the certifications. If you pick up old routers, they may not support 12.4. Why spend a lot of money when you can do it for free.

BTW, I'm using GNS3/Dynamips for my CCNP/CCVP/CCSP.

Download GNS3 w/ dynamips and look around the net for cisco IOS and you don't have to spend a dime or schilling or kroenig or whatever currency you use.

Hi guys, I wonder if someone could create a post of an ideal (budget conscious) study, home lab for CCNA preparations. I found the link below but guess it out of date with the introduction of the new 640-802 exam.

www.ciscoblog.com/archives/2006/08/ideal_ccna_lab.html

Thanks in advance.

Ps. spec of ports etc will be great too

Thanks for your post but I've played with the router emulators/simulators you've mentioned and now I feel like playing with the real thing . I was expecting loads of replies since most people here have a CCNA,CCNP etc (i think!). Or did everyone use simulators and emulators during their preparations? I doubt it.

Any posts appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds