Skip to main content

CCNA Lab setup (on a budget)

More
15 years 2 months ago #29238 by skylimit

GNS3/Dynamips will be more than sufficient for your CCNA. Actually, for the CCNA, you just need packet tracer as someone suggested. GNS3/dynamips runs the Cisco IOS. You can get the latest and greatest cisco IOS, currently 12.4 for the certifications. If you pick up old routers, they may not support 12.4. Why spend a lot of money when you can do it for free.

BTW, I'm using GNS3/Dynamips for my CCNP/CCVP/CCSP.

I absolutely agree that GNS3, packet tracer, BOSON, Dynamips, Cisco router emulator etc will be more than sufficient because I have tried out most of them but I want to move on to the "real thing". I want to spend some money (invest!!!) :) . There's certainly a difference between the real kits and a simu/emulator. Of course if you plan to only pass the exam without getting a job that requires you to apply it then an emulator will do but if you're like me that have used these emulators for a while and plan to move on get a job after getting certified, then getting your hands on used (and affordable) kits is a MUST! (IMO!).

Good point on the v12.4 IOS though...

Thanks for all the contributions...dont think I got the response I was expecting though....

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
15 years 2 months ago #29293 by Elohim
Okay... send me $15k dollars and I'll send you the routers you need for you ccna/ccnp

GNS3/Dynamips will be more than sufficient for your CCNA. Actually, for the CCNA, you just need packet tracer as someone suggested. GNS3/dynamips runs the Cisco IOS. You can get the latest and greatest cisco IOS, currently 12.4 for the certifications. If you pick up old routers, they may not support 12.4. Why spend a lot of money when you can do it for free.

BTW, I'm using GNS3/Dynamips for my CCNP/CCVP/CCSP.

I absolutely agree that GNS3, packet tracer, BOSON, Dynamips, Cisco router emulator etc will be more than sufficient because I have tried out most of them but I want to move on to the "real thing". I want to spend some money (invest!!!) :) . There's certainly a difference between the real kits and a simu/emulator. Of course if you plan to only pass the exam without getting a job that requires you to apply it then an emulator will do but if you're like me that have used these emulators for a while and plan to move on get a job after getting certified, then getting your hands on used (and affordable) kits is a MUST! (IMO!).

Good point on the v12.4 IOS though...

Thanks for all the contributions...dont think I got the response I was expecting though....

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds