Skip to main content

CCNA Lab setup (on a budget)

More
15 years 3 months ago #29093 by skylimit
Hi guys, I wonder if someone could create a post of an ideal (budget conscious) study, home lab for CCNA preparations. I found the link below but guess it out of date with the introduction of the new 640-802 exam.

www.ciscoblog.com/archives/2006/08/ideal_ccna_lab.html

Thanks in advance.

Ps. spec of ports etc will be great too

"...you are never too old to learn" anon
More
15 years 3 months ago #29098 by timparker
I would be interested in seeing recommendations also, but have an extra question to throw out. Hope that's ok. I have done some looking around at Ebay and have seen some Cisco stuff that says "no software in flash or included."

How do you get a version to install on it? I have an account and support through Cisco for the equipment that the agency I work for just bought. I haven't really looked to far through it yet, but can stuff be downloaded?

Thanks for helping out a Cisco Newbie.
More
15 years 3 months ago #29101 by Elohim
Download GNS3 w/ dynamips and look around the net for cisco IOS and you don't have to spend a dime or schilling or kroenig or whatever currency you use.

Hi guys, I wonder if someone could create a post of an ideal (budget conscious) study, home lab for CCNA preparations. I found the link below but guess it out of date with the introduction of the new 640-802 exam.

Thanks in advance.

More
15 years 3 months ago #29104 by skylimit

Download GNS3 w/ dynamips and look around the net for cisco IOS and you don't have to spend a dime or schilling or kroenig or whatever currency you use.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your post but I've played with the router emulators/simulators you've mentioned and now I feel like playing with the real thing . I was expecting loads of replies since most people here have a CCNA,CCNP etc (i think!). Or did everyone use simulators and emulators during their preparations? I doubt it.

Any posts appreciated.

More
15 years 3 months ago #29111 by S0lo

Thanks for your post but I've played with the router emulators/simulators you've mentioned and now I feel like playing with the real thing . I was expecting loads of replies since most people here have a CCNA,CCNP etc (i think!). Or did everyone use simulators and emulators during their preparations? I doubt it.

Any posts appreciated.

For CCNA current simulators like Packet Tracer or Boson, and Emulators like GNS3/dynamips are very sufficient. For CCNP packet tracer is not enough, I'm not sure about Boson. GNS3 can do a very large bulk of what you could do with the real equipment. However, I think it's a really good idea to start thinking about getting some used/refurbished equipment once your attacking CCNP, theres allot in Ebay than what first meets the eye. If one digs well, really nice deals can be found there. I'm saying this because I personally built my home lab from Ebay.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
15 years 3 months ago #29112 by skylimit

Any posts appreciated.

For CCNA current simulators like Packet Tracer or Boson, and Emulators like GNS3/dynamips are very sufficient. For CCNP packet tracer is not enough, I'm not sure about Boson. GNS3 can do a very large bulk of what you could do with the real equipment. However, I think it's a really good idea to start thinking about getting some used/refurbished equipment once your attacking CCNP, theres allot in Ebay than what first meets the eye. If one digs well, really nice deals can be found there. I'm saying this because I personally built my home lab from Ebay.

Thanks. I think what I'm really interested in, is to see how people have setup their labs. In other words, topology diagram/network setup etc. Sure I can get all the gears at a good price from ebay. Any chance you could post yours?

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds