Skip to main content

OS Security

More
21 years 1 month ago #548 by masif
Replied by masif on topic OS Security
First of all i like to say HI to all here..
and in second i want to say that my opinion is different from otheres, my opinion says that every thing come to be secure if you really knows how o secure that one.
you must know the main services and ports that can someone use to enter in your system after that you can easily secures both of them. may be here some not satisfy and agree with me but i think that is the truth.
More
20 years 10 months ago #549 by jbruijntjes
Replied by jbruijntjes on topic OS Security
Rule 1 of project mayhem

You do not talk about project mayhem

So people please stop telling that you are a hacker.

If u are then you know the code...
The rest are just lame people trying to get respect from the normal people (and that is soooo easy)
If u want to get respect, post some interesting info or explain the tricks.

Kind regards

John Bruijntjes

"Los Angeles, year 2029. All stealth bombers are upgraded with neural processors, becoming fully unmanned. One of them, Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. eastern time, August 29.
More
20 years 6 months ago #733 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: OS Security
The number of script kiddies who somehow manage to install red hat and get it onto the net in default configuration is amazing.. and in that sense breaking into a *nix box is far more attractive to crackers than a windows machine..

With regard to windows being targetted, its true that because its the most prevalent os around it attracts a lot of flak, but microsoft is to blame for trying to make the damn thing so complex that it ends up full of bad code. Windows is bloated code, any old school coder will tell you that its inefficiently coded, and thats without even looking at the source :) Just look at how the minimum requirements keep going up.

From a security angle, windows by default is riddled with holes.. breaking into them is trivial for anyone with even a little bit of skill. Do you know how many win2k machines are connected to the net with the IIS webserver running in default config and the owners have NO idea they're running a webserver ? Do a quick google for parts of the default IIS page and you'll understand what I mean.

Linux out of the box is also so insecure its not funny.. but usually the people who install it have the smarts to lock it down !

I love linux, and I use windows xp too.. but when it comes down to it, I think linux is a *much* more robust, better coded, more secure o/s

btw I believe microsofts bug count is around one every week.. and if you aren't watching bugtraq then you wont even know about most of those.

Microsoft usually releases advisories on a wednesday... do you know how many 'Black Thursdays' admins have had ? When you're faced with patching 200 computers infected with <insert latest M$ worm here> you might change your mind.

If you're interested in security.. uhhhh.. use a mac lol :)

dont take me too seriously
Cheers,
Sahir

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2000 by TomaHawK
Replied by TomaHawK on topic Re: OS Security

...Microsoft usually releases advisories on a wednesday... do you know how many 'Black Thursdays' admins have had ? When you're faced with patching 200 computers infected with <insert latest M$ worm here> you might change your mind.

so true...but how the hell did u figure the exact number, give a few,
of machines i have to patch??

sorry to get this up again, but i am rather "new" here, i have been watching this site for about 2-3 month. Good job guys!

all errors are intended, correction will lead to sudden death
More
20 years 4 months ago #2010 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: OS Security
Hey tomahawk, firstly welcome to firewall.cx :) its always nice to have the 'silent' visitors start posting ! I've noticed you suddenly posted quite a bit !! Thats a good thing.. the more visitor participation we have, the better we can make the site.

And I feel your pain if you have 200 machines to patch... I've never had to do more than ~100... which was harrowing enough !

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 4 months ago #2019 by TomaHawK
Replied by TomaHawK on topic Re: OS Security
thank you, and yeah 200 pc´s is a pain, i can assure you, but i live =)
but worst of all is giving support to all the employees...what was that about my employees are worse then your employees? i have definitly the worst :P

all errors are intended, correction will lead to sudden death
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds