Skip to main content

OS Security

More
21 years 5 months ago #542 by MTHOME
OS Security was created by MTHOME
I am posting this not to start a debate but to inform. I have heard for years now that Linux is more secure than windows and what not but to be honest no OS is secure. I have research all OS and have found many hacks for all and no one have more or less. Yes windows are more known about but they are also fixen sooner than most OS's. Does anyone agree with me on this?
More
21 years 5 months ago #543 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic OS Security
MTHOME,

I agree that no OS is secure -online. The only way a OS is secure from the Internet threat, is for it not to be connected to it [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Generally, if you take an operating system and patch it up, install a firewall and be very careful with the software you decide to run on it, then your pretty much safe.

Linux is known to be a lot more secure than Windows in many aspects. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Windows user, but also see its negative aspects as far as network/Internet security. For a Windows machine to be somewhat safe, you need to spend a few days downloading and installing patches. Windows is designed to work "out of the box" which means security is not the No.1 priority.

Also, the fact there are more Windows users than any other OS, its natural that there will be more exploits for it.

As for Linux... well I kinda like to see it as a "make it yourself" kit, in terms of configurablility and flexibility. You can change anything you like without restrictio ns. There are more people working on the Linux kernel than what there are for Windows, therefor its more stable aswell.

All you really need to do is sign up with the SANS instituite newsletter and once you start to receive the new exploits which have been discovered for each OS everyday, you will quickly see how many holes Windows has.

For those who want some more material to read, check the articles section "Windows and other OS's" for the Code Red worm, so see what impact it had on Win2000,NT4 Webservers !

I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about this topic.

Cheers, [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Chris Partsenidis.
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
www.Firewall.cx
More
21 years 5 months ago #544 by MTHOME
Replied by MTHOME on topic OS Security
First off I appoligize for the poor grammer in my first post.

Second, in sticking with my original statement "not to start a debate over which is better" I would like to agree but disagree with you. While I agree that Linux is a bit more secure than windows, I will have to disagree that it is a lot more secure for the following reason. When you install a Linux system you get whatever the make designed and while you can fully customize to your need, there are many that do not know how. On the other hand Windows makes it very simple to stay up to date and secure. The biggest problem Microsoft has is not the software but the users. They continuesly tell us to update but time after time I have found systems to not have a single update. The bottom line is that no matter what is done you will never stop hackers unless you cut them off at the feet "The Internet".
More
21 years 4 months ago #545 by T-BoNe
Replied by T-BoNe on topic OS Security
They are both VERY insecure out of the box. I find linux much much easier to hack with the use of public root kits and autorooters, also much easier to hide your pressence. Anyone with a dedicated broadband connection should be behind a firewall (personal or otherwise) thats step number 1
More
21 years 4 months ago #546 by T-BoNe
Replied by T-BoNe on topic OS Security
Watch how you use the term hacker. I consider myself a hacker. I dont deface websites or cause DDOS attacks, those are crackers, script kiddies, whatever you want to call em, but their not hackers.
More
21 years 4 months ago #547 by MTHOME
Replied by MTHOME on topic OS Security
I appoligise for the use of hacker but so many refer to them as bad and so I used the term in that presence. I do agree that hackers are good and I believe that they are the backbone of computer science. Again I appoligise for the improper use and as well I consider my self a hacker.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds