Skip to main content

Open Source Ghost

More
16 years 4 months ago #24541 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Open Source Ghost
Well, I will give it a try and report back... thanks everyone.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24544 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Open Source Ghost
I'm curious to see how those programs compare to Norton Ghost. I use Norton Ghost at work and I plan to ghost some of my systems at home in the near future. Skepticals have you used Norton Ghost to make a comparison?

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 4 months ago #24571 by skepticals
I have used Ghost in the past, but it foggy in my mind. I currently have Ghost at work now (I think 10.0), but I wanted to look into an open source alternative because I wanted to Ghost my home PCs too. I will be trying it in the next week or so. I will let you know what I find and you can try to compare to Ghost.
More
16 years 4 months ago #24589 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: Open Source Ghost
I'm just wondering if you can browse the ghosted images for specific files and folders. Norton Ghost comes with Ghost explorer where you can simply load the image and browse through all the files. These comes in handy when you need to simply recover one or two files and not having to re-image the entire system for those files. The Ghost Explorer loads them just like Windows Explorer with the pane to the left and the file listing to the right. Quite a handy tool!

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
16 years 4 months ago #24608 by skepticals
That sound great. I would be more likely to use ghosting programs if that is the case. I will look into this and let you know.
More
16 years 3 months ago #24842 by skepticals
Well, I installed Fedora 8 with FOG (Free Open Source Fog) on a virtual machine and configured it. The only problem I have now is that my PCs have two partitions, one setup by Gateway and then the normal system partition. FOG only does a single partion and works with PXE on a client/server relation.

I ran accross DriveImage XML which is also free and can create images of your partitions.

Has anyone used it?
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds