Skip to main content

Open Source Ghost

More
16 years 3 months ago #24848 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Open Source Ghost
Nice find skepticals, looks more promising than FOG. I think I'll try it.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 3 months ago #24849 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Open Source Ghost
I agree S0lo...

I think fog would be good if I need to image 25 computers for a lab or school, etc. But, I really only wanted to image a few computers.

With DriveImage XML, I can simply select the partition to backup and click next - seems pretty simple and quick.

One question though, maybe you know the answer, I have 2 partitions on my computers. I could backup both partitions independently using DriveImage; do you know if I can restore both of them to the same drive?
More
16 years 3 months ago #24855 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Open Source Ghost

do you know if I can restore both of them to the same drive?

In Norton Ghost, you could image a whole drive with all it's partitions, or image partitions separately. So I usually just image the whole drive. Did you check if DriveImage XML has this feature ?.

The thing is that there is a marker for the active partition (i.e boot partition that contains your C:\), placed in the partition table inside the Master Boot Record. This tells the PC which partition to boot from. Copying the two partitions would not necessarily mean that the partition table is copied. So after copying one by one, you probably need to "Some how" make the boot partition active.

Unless off course DriveImage XML is smart enough to do it. Or some one here has a better idea.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 3 months ago #24874 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: Open Source Ghost
I'm not sure. I do not think it has the ability to ghost the entire hard drive - it can only make an image of a partition. I read throgh some other threads and someone said that because you can restore both partitions to the same drive you are essentially imaging the entire drive, but I was thinking the same thing about the master boot partition...
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds