Skip to main content

Windows 2003 firewall

More
18 years 11 months ago #8835 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Windows 2003 firewall
I have actually used ISA server in my network. As Jhun said, it is a fully fledged firewall/proxy server. It also does application level filtering. It can be used in quite a number of ways which is probably where the confusion comes in. It is perfect for an all-Microsoft network where you have XP clients running Outlook 2003 as you have Outlook Web access working out of the box. You also have Remoting of Desktops also pretty much out of the box as well.

However, although I run a mainly Microsoft-based network, I moved to IPCOP due to licensing issues. It requires a bit more effort, but once it's up and running, it's absolutely fantastic.

As the Bishop said, let's have more of an idea of your requirements, Freebird.
More
18 years 10 months ago #9014 by Freebird
Replied by Freebird on topic Re: Firewall
nnbnb

I haven't quite got a mental picture of your requirements yet. Can you tell us what the firewall has to let through (protocols), what it must prevent getting through, and what in basic terms is the addressing structure of your network (where the different networks/subnets are in relation to the firewall

Hi
My broaband server is 24online elitecore.com/indexhtml.htm I have to filter traffic like ICMP spoofing/DNS attack Netbios Attack (Port 135/445).

Broadband server has these following features

1) Proxy Server with individual bandwidth management
2) Mail Server
3) DHCP server
4) DNS server

It has two lan cards one to connect internet the other have private ips to customers.

Any more info?

Regards
freebird
More
18 years 10 months ago #9017 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Firewall

Broadband server has these following features

1) Proxy Server with individual bandwidth management
2) Mail Server
3) DHCP server
4) DNS server

If your broadband server has the above features, I presume you will only need the firewalling capabilites of ISA. Is your user authentication going to be user name or IP-based? If you are using IP-based authentication, you may be better off with IPCOP or something similar as ISA may be a bit of an overkill for this particular application.
More
18 years 10 months ago #9020 by Freebird
Replied by Freebird on topic Re: Firewall
[/quote]

If your broadband server has the above features, I presume you will only need the firewalling capabilites of ISA. Is your user authentication going to be user name or IP-based? If you are using IP-based authentication, you may be better off with IPCOP or something similar as ISA may be a bit of an overkill for this particular application.[/quote]

Its IP based user management.we bind the user name & pwd to IP

Regards
freebird
More
18 years 10 months ago #9024 by DaLight
Replied by DaLight on topic Re: Windows 2003 firewall
A few more questions.

How are the users connecting to your server? Are they dialling in from remote locations or are they local users in a private network behind the server?

Also, is your DHCP server handing out addresses on the basis of authenticated user name/password pairs?

Also what exactly do you want ISA to do?

Thanks
More
18 years 7 months ago #10371 by Freebird
Replied by Freebird on topic Re: Windows 2003 firewall

A few more questions.

How are the users connecting to your server? Are they dialling in from remote locations or are they local users in a private network behind the server?

Also, is your DHCP server handing out addresses on the basis of authenticated user name/password pairs?

Also what exactly do you want ISA to do?

Thanks

users are local users.I have nothing to do with ISA.I need a firewall which comes between server & users.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds