Skip to main content

help on vmware

More
20 years 3 hours ago #3508 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: help on vmware
Oi oi.. hold on their sailor !! That vmware picture shows you haven't installed any O/S in VMWare, you do this exactly as you would install an O/S fresh on your machine, put in the bootable CD..

Now what you should do is burn that Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.1586.iso
to CD.. DONT just WRITE the file, you need to BURN THE IMAGE.. in other words after you've written it, if you go to the disc and see just that one file there, you messed up.. you should see a whole lot of files and directories... in Nero the option is under Recorder >> Burn image.

Once you've burned that image to a CD, you put that CD in the drive, and make sure that drive is selected in your virtual machine properties.. now when you boot it should run the installer from that disc.

I recommend you start from scratch, delete all those old virtual machines you have created (just delete the directories) and create a new virtual machine from scratch.

If you don't want to burn the CD, you can still install it..

Start VMWare, create a new virtual machine (make sure you specify that you plan to install Linux in it), now press CTRL+D, you'll get a box listing 'Hardware'... one of the devices will be 'CD-ROM 1'.. select that..

Now on the right hand side, under the 'Connection' menu, there are two options "Use physical drive', or 'Use ISO image'.. select the 'Use ISO image' radio button and click 'browse'.. now select your ISO file (Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.1586.iso)

Now when you boot VMWare, the machine will think that the ISO file is actually a mounted CD-ROM and will boot from the 'CD'..

If this is too complicated read, the VMWare help first.. its very well documented and a bit difficult to explain in a forum.

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
20 years 2 hours ago #3510 by indebluez
Replied by indebluez on topic Re: help on vmware
hey i found a site explainin how to do it...i ahvent looked through it as yet...heres the site...
www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Kylix/VMware/Mandrake90VMware.pdf
i jus got my results for my masters application:) i got through!!! my masters application for integrated circuit design here in ntu, singapore:) i am in!:D take care bybye
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds