Skip to main content

Software to control usb access

More
14 years 1 month ago #33939 by jester
I agree with you nevins,but here the case is different , multiple departments with different access rights work in a single network,some IT technicians who have friends in other departments provide the admin password to them and all the GP and AD work becomes ineffective.
Now Management has decided to put a software to controll the access and the control of the software will be with in the top management .No admins or IT techs will have the control over that software and it will be monitored by the Top mangement .
Thats the situation here.
More
14 years 1 month ago #33942 by Nevins
What your effectively saying is the IT personnel is incapable of doing the part of their job that includes not giving away passwords so you need a way to give control of it back up to management.

That sucks dude. It's bullshit that it has to come to this but... I suggest you now use a smartcard login system:

Basically because your administrators need access and don't need to share it with non-administrators you can keep track of who's doing what. Also it will allow you to see who in your organization is giving away info because you can track which admin is logged on where.

I honestly can't imagine any of the administrators I've dealt with giving out passwords it's just to the point of being silly. If you can't afford smart cards simply give the admins their own sets of passwords and check the log files and find out who is doing what. In any situation giving control to management is really just a really bad thing. It shows incapability to preform job functions and there is no way of knowing that management will do any better.

I'm sorry thats just how I feel that situation... to me at least is unacceptable. I'm not saying admins can't have friends in other departments but they should know better then to give passwords out.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 1 month ago #33962 by jester
Nevins,don't dig too deep, in our office there are FMS engineers who have Administrator privilege they provide the password to the users,they are IT technicians,part of IT department but a different wing,they are not admins and the access control is not going any where out of IT department it will be with in IT department but will be controlled by higher authorities (managers,asst managers and TL's)
Its like balancing the work load, once the process is standardized it will be passed over to server ,network and system admins.

that's the reason i am hunting for a third party access control software.
More
14 years 1 month ago #33964 by Nevins
Okay thats understandable. I would still want to go with some type of hardware as there is really no software that can beat someone giving up their password.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token

If cost however is the issue put the burden on the employee to buy the hardware (unless your company buys phones) with:
www.phonefactor.com/

Basically it works by calling in for your security token accepting only your phones phone number. But don't worry if you lose your phone they still have to know the pin. Not having used them I don't know if how their fees work but because it deals with a phone I'm sure they have a pay by use or pay by month/year set up.

Basically I'm almost always going to be in favor of the more extreme security measure but I think some form of a security token will suit your cause. Honestly I've not really shopped around; last time I was looking for security authenticators I got some RSA devices and they seemed to do the trick.

Useful Threads
================================
www.firewall.cx/forum/2-basic-concepts/3...e-resource-page.html
More
14 years 1 month ago #33984 by Bublitz
I use sophos anti virus to achieve this their endpoint product has this feature, nac, application control, disk encryption, firewall and a bunch of other stuff. Its nice to have all this under one management interface.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds