Skip to main content

Assign Drive letters after Partition!!

More
16 years 3 months ago #24782 by Alans
it's SATA, can someone tell me the steps from the beginning, may be i missed somthing!!!

regards,

always Face your Fears...
More
16 years 3 months ago #24783 by sose
try another hardisk if it works , u still have the chance of returning it for a better one

thanks
More
16 years 3 months ago #24790 by S0lo

it's SATA, can someone tell me the steps from the beginning, may be i missed somthing!!!

regards,

No special steps. Simply physicaly connect your drive to the Primary (SATA 0 port) and insert Windows setup CD. If the setup can not find it although BIOS can read and see the drive size, then.... I guess there might be some thing with the drive or some mother board in-compatibility.

If it doesn't work, I suggest, take your machine to the store where you bought the drive and tell them to install windows for you. That way you either get it done (so you learn how to do it) or if they can not do it, then there is probably a problem with the drive and they will probably try another drive for you. That way you don't risk them telling you that the drives warranty is void.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 2 months ago #25034 by NeoTech
Couple of things id like to suggest too,

(1) check the jumpers on the drive(s). assign them manually if theyre on cable select, ive come into similar problems because of jumpers.

(2) Get the latest drivers for your motherboard from the motherboard manufacturer, as unlikely as it is it could be that windows has an issue with the drive vs interface controller driver.

(3) thirdly open up disk management and see if the drive is listed. if it is does it have a drive letter assigned? i am unsure how you got windows to boot if there is no partition info, unless it is a secondary drive it seems a bit of a paradox to me although i guess ur bios does recognise it... anyway, if it is in disk management check the partition information. it could be that it has faulty partition information which needs correcting by repartitioning.

...sorry if some of this seems jumbled or a little illiterate its very late. hope this helps somewhat.

Neo
Tech
More
16 years 2 months ago #25160 by Ozzy_98
Are you trying to install windows onto the drive? Or just adding it to an existing system? If you're isntalling windows onto it by booting to the boot CD, it sounds like you're missing SATA drivers for the drive. Whne you boot to the CD, it says press f6 if you need 3rd party raid drivers, and there, you press F6, and insert a floppy or CD with a driver for your SATA controler. If it's IDE, or you're not installing windows on it, this isn't the issue.

If not, then as the post above me says, disk managment inside administrative tools would be the way to go. Since you never used the drive, just erase everything, make a partition, format said partition, and the drive should have a usable drive leter automatically.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds