Skip to main content

Assign Drive letters after Partition!!

More
16 years 3 months ago #24743 by Alans
Hi,
I have a new hard disk and i wanted to to installed it to a PC, first step i did the partition thing so i have 1 Primary (Active) and one extended (logical), second thing i formatted the hard disk, after trying to install windows XP it says no hard disk found, i noticed that there is only a *: for each volume, i mean for primary partion it named *: main12 (main12 is a label setted by me), i think the problem is with the drive letter, please help me :cry:

regards,

always Face your Fears...
More
16 years 3 months ago #24745 by DaLight
What did you use to partition the disk?
More
16 years 3 months ago #24751 by Alans
Acronis Disk Director Suite

More
16 years 3 months ago #24753 by S0lo
WinXP CD can create the partition for you, As far as I remmeber you can create one partition with a certain size. Install Windows on it.

Then after done. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. You can create an other partition in the unpartitioned space.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
More
16 years 3 months ago #24755 by Alans
It's a new hard disk, if i try install win XP it says "no Hard disk found press F3 to quit"
i can see hard disk in BIOS, i can partition it (and i already did that) and i foramtted it but during win XP installation it says no hard idsk found!!!!!

More
16 years 3 months ago #24758 by S0lo
I've seen this situation happen only when you have a SCSI drive or an IDE special interface on your mother board (such as Promise).

If what you have is an IDE or SATA it should normaly show up as an "unpartioned space" since it is new. Strange :?

If it is IDE, Have you connected the drive to the Primary IDE. Some times it wont work on the secondary.

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds