Skip to main content

ftp problem from linux to windows 2003 server

More
16 years 7 months ago #23228 by Smurf
As Bishop and Dalight have pointed out, the authentication seems a good place to look. If Integreated is select then this will be done transparently by the Windows machines. You don't say if the machines are in a domain environment or not ?

A good test is to telnet to port 21, if you get something then this means that the control channel is ok between the *nix boxes and the Windows FTP Server.

Do you have any firewalls/ACL's between the *nix boxes and the FTP Server that you don't have betweent he Windows boxes and the FTP Server ?

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
16 years 7 months ago #23262 by SmartDude
Friends,
I have blocked anonymous authetication on ftp and allowed only windows users authentication, when i do ftp from linux i get the following error message

220 Microsoft FTP Service
500 'AUTH GSSAPI': command not understood

no matter whethere i use hostname of ip i get same error.... its bugging me hell alot ....

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
16 years 7 months ago #23263 by TheBishop
Isn't that your problem? If you're accessing from a linux machine then linux knows nothing about windows authentication, can't supply any meaningful credentials and so you get the message described. To access from linux, turn off all user-based authentication options. If you need to control access you'll have to restict it by source IP address or something
More
16 years 7 months ago #23264 by SmartDude
thanks for quick reply bishop .... i will see what i can do now ...

Share the Knowledge, make a master being a Master...
Best Regards,
SmartDude
More
16 years 7 months ago #23269 by Smurf
Yes thats the issue. If you want authentication to work then us Basic and it will then prompt for username/password credentials. This can then be entered on Windows & Unix machines using the Windows Account infromation on the FTP Server or AD (Depending how your FTP Server is configured)

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds