Skip to main content

Slow copying files to server

More
18 years 3 months ago #12705 by DaLight
You will not need to apply the W2K-specific patch, but before you make the registry change, ensure that your problem produces exactly the same symptoms as described. You may also want to check out this related KB article
More
18 years 3 months ago #12717 by ron1337
Does anybody have a tutorial on how to monitor my network to see where it is slowing down?

I'm having a hell of a time getting thing up to the speed it should be running at.

We switched to Active Directory 3 months ago and it is a slower now than before.

Even the internet is slow to browse.

I suspect that there is more than one thing effecting the speed, so tracking it is hard.

Regards, Ron

Win2003 STD Server
15 XP Pro Clients
More
18 years 3 months ago #12778 by ron1337
Followup....

I replaced our router and everything is fine now.

Regards, Ron

Win2003 STD Server
15 XP Pro Clients
More
18 years 3 months ago #12779 by DaLight
Are the clients and server on the same subnet, or was the replaced router internet-facing?
More
18 years 3 months ago #12781 by ron1337
nnbnbThe router was the cause of the FTP server and internet slowdown.

I still have a problem with copying files to the server though.
I posted that problem here:
groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public....890#ae8dcb8de5946890

[code:1]I have a win 2003 std server serving multiple roles in our small office. (file, application, AD, DNS, DHCP).

There is a problem copying files to the server from any of our winXP Pro SP2 machines using Explorer and mapped drives.

I've done an evaluation of the copy using Total Commander & Explorer over mapped drives and IP address.

The problem only occurs on the Mapped drive w/ Explorer.

I captured the transfer on my newtork monitor and there is a 1 second delay between every file transfered. So....folders with many small files take much longer than one big file.

I've read many similar posts on this topic, but am still unsure how to correct the problem.
Is it a client problem, a server problem, both???

I've uploaded the captures to FTP if anybody knows how to read them.

Regards, Ron

[/code:1]

Here is the FTP Server Link:
ftp://Guest:Guest@gsd.serveftp.net

Regards, Ron

Win2003 STD Server
15 XP Pro Clients
More
18 years 3 months ago #12784 by DaLight
Have you tried the fix mentioned earlier on in the thread. Your symptoms are very similar to those mentioned in the Microsoft KB article on the fix.
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds