Skip to main content

Slow copying files to server

More
18 years 3 months ago #12418 by Biggystumps
Greetings All,

I am having an issue with a File & print server.
It is running Server 2003, clients are XP, Network speed is 100Mbps.

It takes a very long time to copy files from our clients to the server. doesnt matter what type of file or folder, but it took me over 10mins to copy a 40MB folder.
However I am able to copy a 20MB file from the server to my computer in < 5 seconds.

I have monitored the processes on the server and client at the same time while copying a file and no single process is taking the CPU usage. There is one process services.exe using approx 500MB of 4GB on the server. I have monitored the network adaptor and the usage has peeked at 20%, but of the time it averages about 8%.

So from my initial troubleshooting i am not even able to determine if it is a Network or Server Issue because the copy of files both ways negates a Network problem, and the server performace monitoring negates a system Issue.

Nothing has changed as far as configuration or updates recently. There was some done a couple weeks ago just installing some windows updates. However this issue occured recently.

Another thing we looked into was disk space. Right now we have 262GB total with only 13.5GB free. I dont see this as an issue, however we ran the analyze tool and there was a lot of red.

Event logs are not showing too much, just people printing and some group policy being updates (which are server are excluded from)

Any and all suggestions are welcome, once again, it takes our users a very long time to copy files to our server.

Thanks

MCSE - MCSA
2003 certified
More
18 years 3 months ago #12419 by DaLight
Check out this Microsoft KB article .
More
18 years 3 months ago #12428 by jhun
nice link there Dalight... :D
More
18 years 3 months ago #12438 by Biggystumps
Thanks for the link Dalight. it was going to be the next step if the below solution didnt work out.

After more research myself and the other LAN technician found there was a problem in one of the windows updates we did a while ago. So we got the hotfix... for the hotfix, rebooted the server and things have been smooth for a little while now.

Thanks again for you help.

MCSE - MCSA
2003 certified
More
18 years 3 months ago #12442 by DaLight
Nice work, Biggystumps. Could you please post the details of both the hotfix/update that caused the problem and the solution hotfix in case anyone else has the same problem.
More
18 years 3 months ago #12704 by ron1337
I have the same problem described here.
The linked article says to "apply the following pre-Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix to Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2) ".

I'm assuming this isn't necessary for my win 2003 std server.

So should I just modify the registry as instructed?

Do I need to do anything to the winXP Pro clients?

Regards, Ron

Regards, Ron

Win2003 STD Server
15 XP Pro Clients
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds