Skip to main content

The Pain of a Linux Newbie..

More
17 years 1 month ago #21104 by durk21
I would like to point out that a Virtual machine is deigned to be put in a production environment bc you can save everything you do its also easier than dealing with that crap of having to deal with boot sectors and boot kernels and did you pick the right one for your setup and so on
More
17 years 1 month ago #21120 by Smurf
Bishop,

Are you sure you were a total newbie ? Lots of stuff in that post i don't understand :) Just installed VMWare, gonna try my very first ever Linux install myself, hope it doesn't take me that long though, it took a consultant at work less then 10mins to install Debian on one of our servers that fell over............

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 1 month ago #21124 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic QUESTION?
im not a totla newb but im a new as far as trying to become a power user and truely understand some of linux's aspects ive only booted and installed linux before nad tried to configure it

here is another question i have for you

i tried runing ubuntu in virtual pc to no avail anyone know whats going on i gave it 128 and 150 mb of ram to play with as well but still got nothing.

Ubuntu loaded and installed in the VM but when i got plast the load bar something messed up with i guess the gnome and i couldnt see anything anyone else experience this problem?
More
17 years 1 month ago #21132 by TheBishop
nnbnbYes, this is a 'known bug' with both Microsoft Virtual PC and VMWARE whereby the virtual machine can only do 16-bit colour depth and your linux tries to start up in 24-bit resulting in a mashed display. Basically you have to perform a text install of the linux then go in and edit a file that defines the monitor settings under X-Windows. The best set of instructions for doing this are at arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/02/26/inst...c-2007-step-by-step/ . Try that and let us know how you get on
More
17 years 1 month ago #21141 by durk21
hmmm still no luck ubuntu 7.0.4 the version i have does not support an install using text feature its like an auto format i can adjust the screen graphics but apparently u need text install and i dont have that so ill have to google it

but im not good at that if uve got anymore resources let me know
More
17 years 1 month ago #21143 by durk21
I just ditched Microsoft virtual pc 2007 and went with VMware Server and it worked perfectly with Ubuntu and i didn't have to adjust any of the settings what so ever i just told it to install

thanks for the help though thats articles solution didn't work because im using 7.0.4 and it doesn't support text install
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds