Skip to main content

what does this mean?

More
19 years 3 months ago #7034 by Bublitz
what does this mean? was created by Bublitz
#5.5.0 smtp;550-Verification failed for <Billy.Bublitz@new-domain.com>>

Were still having problems e-mailing linux based server. Verification failed that must be why its not working. How does one get this verification not to fail?

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
19 years 3 months ago #7059 by sahirh
Replied by sahirh on topic Re: what does this mean?
Check your DNS settings MX record. The MX record should not point directly to the alias (CNAME record), it should point to the A record that has the IP of the host.

To quote from RFC 2181

The domain name used as the value of a NS resource record, or part of the value of a MX resource record must not be an alias. Not only is the specification clear on this point, but using an alias in either of these positions neither works as well as might be hoped, nor well fulfills the ambition that may have led to this approach. This domain name must have as its value one or more address records.
Currently those will be A records, however in the future other record types giving addressing information may be acceptable. It can also have other RRs, but never a CNAME RR.

Lemme know if it helps

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 3 months ago #7083 by stefke
Replied by stefke on topic Re: what does this mean?
Bublitz,

I think it might have to do with the FQDN of your mailhost.

You should give your maihost a FQDN (or at least the public domain name) that equals a name that can be resolved publicly, so the receiving maihost can retrieve/verify the IP address via reverse DNS lookup.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Stefan
More
19 years 3 months ago #7093 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: what does this mean?
Im really slow when it ocmes to dns almost no expirence with it so ill try your suggestions. if i cant figure it out ill give you guys more info to maybe lock this down.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
More
19 years 3 months ago #7094 by Bublitz
Also it doesnt help that we have 3 damn exhange servers one on each side of our wan. and one front end exchange server. makes things confusing.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
More
19 years 3 months ago #7097 by Bublitz
Name Type Data

(same as parent folder) Start of Authority [10], pfabrex01.olddomain.local., admin.olddomain.local.

(same as parent folder) Name Server pfabrex01.olddomain.local.

(same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger [10] 10.50.0.245.

mail Host 10.50.0.245
pfabrex01 Host 10.10.25.30
pffsdex01 Host 10.50.0.246
pffsdex02 Host 10.50.0.245
www Host 10.50.0.245

Here is the forward look up for new-domain.com

If you need some reverse to see the problem i can get ya that also. Figured try this on step at a time.

all our pcs and server are still on olddomain.local so if you need forward dns on our olddomian.local thats fine.

One thing i tried to do to fix it is make our virtual SMTP

pfabrex01.new-domain.com
pffsdex01.new-domain.com
pffsdex02.new-domain.com

THey were using the default which is olddomain.com because the server is actually on oldomain.local.

To get this to work I added

pfabrex01 Host 10.10.25.30
pffsdex01 Host 10.50.0.246
pffsdex02 Host 10.50.0.245

to the new-domain forward lookup manually then. Got ALL the servers on the new-domain.com FQDN in e-mail manager then rebooted. Still didnt fix the problem

also in e-mail manager under the general tab for default smtp virtual server the ip address is unassigened for all 3 servers.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds