Skip to main content

Red Hat 9 as a PRoxy Server

More
19 years 10 months ago #4341 by sahirh
apt-get has a sources.list file which contains all the different mirrors for debian packages. You can add your own mirrors etc.

Plus you should understand the three different types of debian distributions :
stable
testing
unstable

www.debian.org

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 9 months ago #4457 by jhun
hi sahirh

i've setup the debian on VMware but i can't seem to make it use the GUI of the system...does debian has a standard general driver for video cards or do i have to download drivers from the web and install it...you see al i'm getting is the "command line interface".

also, is there a difference between the syntax and parameters (command line interface) used in a debian system to other linux operating system such rh9?

is there a reference that you could share with regards to the command line interface of debian?...thanks
More
19 years 9 months ago #4472 by nske
Hi jhun,

The default kernel in all distributions comes with mostly every driver module so you don't have to worry. You can check to the /etc/X11/XF86Config (section "Device") what driver the X server is configured to load. Use a simple editor such as pico or nano for this. Since you load debian under vmware's virtual pc, i believe the best idea is to set this to "vesa" (i think it's the default anyway). That's because the virtual pc uses a typical (virtual) vga adapter without hardware acceleration. When x server is configured, and provided you have installed a window manager such as KDE or GNOME, by typing "startx" it has to load.

All the commands have the same syntax between distributions, as they are mainly 3rd party applications. Still, if a distribution implements different versions of these programs, the syntax for them may vary (if you have debian stable that is very possible since it's packages are compiled only from older/more stable versions). It is also possible that a program is not included at all, or not installed by default in some distributions and it is in others. Also some custom shell scripts or programs (such as the installer and the package manager) are created speciffically for a distribution, so you will not find them in others. But appart from these, all the important utilities will be there no mater the distro. Finally, the default command line interface of debian, is the bash shell and it is the same in almost all the distros. For getting familiar with it (and not only) I recommend that you read LNAG . It refers to rpm based distributions, but the package manager is a minor detail you can disregard for now :)
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds