Skip to main content

Red Hat 9 as a PRoxy Server

More
19 years 11 months ago #4086 by jhun
Hello

I haven't used linux before and its all microsoft products, but i want to see what the open source software has to give, to make comparisons and at the same time to take advantage of both worlds.

Any one knows how to configure a RH9 box into a proxy server?..a squid?...Any resource/guidance would be highly appreciated.

I hope that a step-by-step configuration guide would be posted here...hehehe :lol:

Thanks
More
19 years 11 months ago #4087 by bilfo
Googlize it mate

Its the current Trend at the moment
Everyone's Using it...
With the cost of IIS skyrocketing i don't blame them.

Cheers
More
19 years 11 months ago #4088 by jhun
thanks...i have already strated searching for references...by the way is RH9 the os of choice or is there another linux version that is much suitable for the proxy job?
More
19 years 11 months ago #4091 by sahirh
I prefer Debian.. you can just straight say
apt-get install squid
and it will download and install squid for you.. no dependency problems, compiling from source etc.

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
More
19 years 11 months ago #4108 by jhun
thanks sahirh...by the way where can i possibly get DEBIAN?...and what are the hardware requirement can this baby use since i'm on a tight budget as of the moment.... :D
More
19 years 11 months ago #4110 by sahirh
Debian will work on your great grand mothers old ENIAC clone if you want it to :)

You can get it from www.debian.org , but that will involve downloading a lot.. I would recommend you download knoppix from www.knoppix.net

You can do a hard disk instal of knoppix which is really easy.. it then essentially becomes a debian system (yes debian purists flame me ;))

Cheers,

Sahir Hidayatullah.
Firewall.cx Staff - Associate Editor & Security Advisor
tftfotw.blogspot.com
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds