Skip to main content

WHICH LINUX

More
14 years 7 months ago #31747 by KiLLaBeE
Replied by KiLLaBeE on topic Re: WHICH LINUX
I used skepticals' strategy for the first half of my quest. I didn't follow "polls" too much because I wanted my decision to be based off my own experience.

For the second half of my quest, I changed strategies and started with the below questions:

1. What is your objective in learning Linux -- are you just interested in learning new things or do you plan using the knowledge as a tool?

2. What is it that you want out of the experience -- are you looking to mainly learn how to NAVIGATE through a different GUI or UI or are you looking to learn the internal workings of it, bypassing the GUI and UI altogether?

3. Do you plan on applying this new knowledge somewhere afterwards (i.e.: career, helping others, etc) or just learn it for pleasure?

This should help you determine whether you want to learn:

-Something that's old school but at the core of *nix (i.e.: Slackware, *BSD, Gentoo, etc), allowing you to deeply learn the internals.

-Something that is business oriented (i.e.: Red Hat, SUSE), allowing you to learn something that you have a better chance of using in a business environment.

-Something that is mainstream (i.e.: Ubuntu, Fedora), allowing easier transition and adaptation.

-Something that's brand new or unheard of, allowing you to be unique......I guess.

Just don't expect to find THE Linux for you overnight or in a week.
More
14 years 7 months ago #31756 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: WHICH LINUX
Good call KiLLaBeE! Very nicely explained and broken down. I couldn't agree more with KiLLaBeE, you definitely won't find your particular flavor of Linux overnight or in a week. You will have to test the waters by simply ...install, format, install, format.

You have plenty to choose from KiLLaBeE's list below. Just be cognizant of the various skill levels when jumping into Linux. Something like Gentoo compared to Ubuntu. Gentoo is one of the most advanced Linux installs, as you have to build/compile your own kernal. Ubuntu is made for ease of use and quick to run. Just keep that in mind.

I feel that if you follow KiLLaBeE's questions and have passion and patience, you'll be dual booting or running multiple computers with Linux in no time!

Cheers mates,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
More
14 years 7 months ago #31802 by skepticals
Replied by skepticals on topic Re: WHICH LINUX
I liked Fedora at first because it was all blue and pretty :-)
More
14 years 7 months ago #31893 by ZiPPy
Replied by ZiPPy on topic Re: WHICH LINUX
I am not going to lie, I thought the SAME thing when I first installed Fedora Core 9. But unfortunately, even though the orange color of Ubuntu isn't as appealing, its just much easier to use and work on. Secondly, the Fedora community doesn't come close to the Ubuntu community. The Ubuntu community is huge!! Loaded with various issues and solutions to typical Linux problems.

I am still calling Ubuntu for the win.

Cheers,

ZiPPy

ZiPPy
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds