Skip to main content

Freebased VM's Got any?

More
17 years 1 week ago #21349 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: Freebased VM's Got any?
Mine worked fine SMURF aren't you using the VMWARE SERVER? mine works perfectly.

I got the same problem on Virtual pc made by Microsoft to fix it you need to install using the 16 bit mode via a text install because most virtual machine don't support above 16 bits and Linux typically wants to start in 32 bit graphics.

so yeah try installing using 16 bit 800 X 600 Graphics and install by doing a text install instead that should be an option as well

you can change the install graphics by hitting i think F6
More
17 years 1 week ago #21350 by durk21
Replied by durk21 on topic Re: Freebased VM's Got any?
ah i see from an earlier post it doesn't work on vista yeah do as i said and change the graphics config b4 u install then install in text mode
More
17 years 1 week ago #21358 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Freebased VM's Got any?
I'm not using Virtual PC i have Virtual Server.

Just downloading Virtual PC now to give it a bash.

Thanks for the reply

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 1 week ago #21359 by TheBishop
The corrupted scrren you posted is the classic 24-bit colour depth bug that you get when installing Linux into a Virtual Machine. Have a look at my post in 'The pain of a Linux newbie', think it's on page 3, where there is a link to an article explaining how to get round this
More
17 years 1 week ago #21363 by Smurf
Replied by Smurf on topic Re: Freebased VM's Got any?
Will do, saves me googling because i cannot get it to work in Virtual PC either....... :(

Wayne Murphy
Firewall.cx Team Member
www.firewall.cx

Now working for a Security Company called Sec-1 Ltd in the UK, for any
Penetration Testing work visit www.sec-1.com or PM me for details.
More
17 years 1 week ago #21373 by S0lo
Replied by S0lo on topic Re: Freebased VM's Got any?
Smurf, I tried VM server on a Win2003 server and intalled Suse Linux as Guest, It works perfectly, thanks for the post. I never knew that VMware had a free version.

One thing, I couldn't get the VM tools to work with Suse. I tried every thing. The tools package installes OK, but no visual performance enhancement. Any ideas ?

Studying CCNP...

Ammar Muqaddas
Forum Moderator
www.firewall.cx
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds