Skip to main content

Suggestion for the site...

More
15 years 2 months ago #29119 by sose
Replied by sose on topic Re: Suggestion for the site...
I am cautiously optimistic that live chat discussions will demote the intellectual level of of this forum, and subsequently discussions will be abused. sometimes when we response to issues, we do so in a structured manner given a little time to think. In this regard instantaneous response will give birth to poorer output like in must chat fora.

1 input your case
2 wait for response
3 respond yourself as a reminder if you wish
4 wait agian
5 if no response goto 2
6 ELSE read and print output
7 gather facts and experiment
8 end

sose
have a super week
the operating system is thesame wherever you go
More
15 years 2 months ago #29125 by KiLLaBeE

...live chat discussions will demote the intellectual level of of this forum, and subsequently discussions will be abused. sometimes when we response to issues, we do so in a structured manner given a little time to think. In this regard instantaneous response will give birth to poorer output like in must chat fora...

Exactly my point :-D...good explanation!
More
15 years 2 months ago #29296 by NeoTech
Hmm, i see both sides of this... It was just a suggestion but i did state members only and while everyone may not have the info at hand immediately, having a live portal to (even semi) professional suggestions could be invaluable to any techies left scratching their heads over an issue at work for example. Something we all wouldn't have minded at one point i'd imagine. Sometimes all it takes is a simple: "it uses a wildcard mask and not a subnet mask for that command." But searching through manuals or google could take hours before it hits home. Especially if someone is having a bad day.

I also thought it'd be sweet to jump on and talk to fellow techies during spare time for the already mentioned reason that most other chatrooms seem to be full of people with IQs in single figures, hehe. I honestly havent come across a single IT chatroom yet. :?

I also understand that the fact posts remain on the site in the forums is invaluable for research but in my example above it could still take much longer to find out than asking someone directly and i cant tell you the amount of times i have replied or almost replied to a post in order to resolve somebody's problem only to realise it was posted 5 years ago, hehe.
Plus if any topic mentioned in chat was ever brought up which was apparent that we didn't have in the forums or the learning pages, perhaps someone involved would write an explaination post or an artical for the learning pages thus improving the site further...

I honestly doubt it would degrade the intelligence level of the site unless a bunch of morons signed up for membership but they'd soon leave once a few hexidecimal or binary figures popped up.

Neo
Tech
More
15 years 2 months ago #29321 by KiLLaBeE
Don't get me wrong, your points are good, but they just aren't better and stronger than the points we've made about NOT having chat rooms ;-).

I know what you mean about chat room members having IQs in single figures...and when that's not the case, the members are just mean and nasty when you ask them questions.

Do you believe the quality of a chat room here would not degrade to that kind of quality over time, after new members have taken over the site...new members who would not understand the purpose and "restrictions" of the chat room?

I now have a group of online IT buddies I IM when I have easy, specific questions. They're almost always online, and when they aren't they're easily reachable. If they don't have the answers, I PM specific members of this site, and again, they're usually pretty responsive. I don't even bother searching for IT chat rooms anymore because I know what I'll end up finding. I instead only accept referrals to other knowledgeable members.

Add me if you want to your list of IT online buddies...I don't know how much you know for me to say whether or not I'll know more than you to be able to answer your questions, of course.
More
15 years 2 months ago #29340 by NeoTech
Hey Killa, Your points are fair and i do see wisdom in the decision. i guess some serious moderation would be in order which would take up a lot of time. Time most people wont have. I do believe though it is invaluable for anyone serious about IT to have contacts outside of their usual circle.

I'm only just getting into IT professionally though ive been job hunting for about 5 months now, and studying part time for over 3 years. I am on the last quater of my CCNA course and finishing off CompTIA A+ alongside it. I currently also hold an MCP in desktop support and would like to work towards an MCSE or an MCSA at the very least in the future but sadly, I have only a little experience from a placement I got at a software house back in October, so I would wager that you know a lot more than myself. (i read your profile on the site hehe).

I will add you if you'd like to PM me with your MSN address or something. Conversations, i find help things stick more easily and as one can never know everything there may be times i can still help you out too. :D

Neo
Tech
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds