Skip to main content

Getting your foot into the Networking/IT field...

More
16 years 8 months ago #22966 by Holmes245
Yes, it helps a lot Rockape. It lets me know how you did it.

I do have a question. To get a hep desk position, did you start out not knowing much at all or did you come to the job with some experience?

At a helpdesk job, do they give you a manual to read from or what? I consider myself just starting out and as I'm taking classes at school on Networking and Computers, I'm also reading at home, but in a sense, I'm just starting so I don't have a large breadth of knowledge at all. Therefore, I'm guessing, to even get a helpdesk position you have to have a certain amount/level of knowledge?
More
16 years 8 months ago #22973 by Rockape

Yes, it helps a lot Rockape. It lets me know how you did it.

I do have a question. To get a hep desk position, did you start out not knowing much at all or did you come to the job with some experience?

ROCKAPE Reply - Like you, I'd been doing a course a college, and playing with PCs at home. But really, I didn't know that much.

At a helpdesk job, do they give you a manual to read from or what? I consider myself just starting out and as I'm taking classes at school on Networking and Computers, I'm also reading at home, but in a sense, I'm just starting so I don't have a large breadth of knowledge at all. Therefore, I'm guessing, to even get a helpdesk position you have to have a certain amount/level of knowledge?

ROCKAPE Reply - They did give me some notebooks. But the helpdesk element was just really logging calls and passing them to the Techie guys. Like I said, I slowly got them to teach me Techie Stuff, and kept going from there. So, for getting the helpdesk job, Techie skills weren't really needed. Your customer service skills were more important. The technical skills came as a result of being in the job and learning skills from others.
More
16 years 8 months ago #22981 by Holmes245
Okay, gotcha. The reason I asked is because I've read other messages on the forums here about starting off with a help desk job. Okay, thanks. That gives me a better idea.
More
16 years 8 months ago #23048 by Rockape
Glad I could help.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds