Skip to main content

my future in networking

More
17 years 10 months ago #15244 by Bublitz
Replied by Bublitz on topic Re: my future in networking
Who cares about money man you can definiatly make a livining doing networking. I'm not rich my any means..but im happy and I enjoy networking. Do what you are going to like or enjoy don't go for the big bucks you won't be happy.

The Bublitz
Systems Admin
Hospice of the Red River Valley
More
17 years 10 months ago #15245 by nske
Replied by nske on topic Re: my future in networking

Who cares about money man you can definiatly make a livining doing networking. I'm not rich my any means..but im happy and I enjoy networking. Do what you are going to like or enjoy don't go for the big bucks you won't be happy.

Really, really, really well put! :)
More
17 years 10 months ago #15249 by monsky
Replied by monsky on topic Re: my future in networking

Find projects to do and do them, keeping documentary evidence and photos maybe. Do voluntary work. Take opportunities even if you have to work for little or nothing in your spare time

that is actually what i am doing now. and firewall.cx is always there where i can post questions, even sometimes questions seemingly dumb.
More
17 years 9 months ago #15801 by Rockape
Replied by Rockape on topic Re: my future in networking

Experience is a perpetual problem. You can't seem to get a job without it, but then how do you get the experience to get that first job when nobody wants to give you that first job to gain the experience...
The only answer seems to be to make your own, as we've heard in many threads and posts. Find projects to do and do them, keeping documentary evidence and photos maybe. Do voluntary work. Take opportunities even if you have to work for little or nothing in your spare time. Build up a portfolio you can show to a potential employer

As the Bishop will confirm. When I started with the company I work at now, I was part of the customer helpdesk (no technical work really, just account unlocked etc). But, by being nosy, and asking the Techies questions, I gained practical Experience. The more I learned, the more I wanted to know. Initially it was to help the techies out when they were dealing with major issues. I could do the easy stuff whilst they did the hard stuff. Well, 6 and a bit years later, I'm now one of the technical team, and learning Network Skills from the Bishop. The only I.T. qualification I have is a Higher National Certificate in Business I.T. which taught me alot of things like programming etc. But, in reality, due to the work I do now, I have forgotten most of it.

But, like the Bishop said, experience is more valuable to alot of employers rather than qualifications. If I remember rightly Bishop, you don't have any I.T. qualifications. However, within our company nationally the Bishop is well known for his Network Engineer Skills.

Personally, I prefer to learn something in the real world. I don't do very well at exams, so prefer not to sit them if I can help it.

So, I would say don't get hung up on qualifications (unless you like that kind of thing).
More
17 years 9 months ago #15826 by donanak
Replied by donanak on topic Re: my future in networking
To add something little to what all of you have said, my very first step to decide on which discipline to dwell in, in the IT world was very difficult.

Most of my mates are into Programming and other stuff and had the experience. We just met when doing the N+ and CCNA course. Thereafter they got jobs since some were even sponsored by their companies and others had years of experience under their belt.

How about me? I did not have even a months of working in IT or Networking. So I decided to startup something, made biz cards, A4 posters and started advertising myself out there, even in the Tesco supermarket I gave out biz cards at the tills. Managed to get few customers until I landed my first job with a School as an ICT Techie. Sounds great but because other companies look after our IT systems I only sit there and make calls for them to come when the need be. Honeslty, it wasn't a challenging position but I continued with my private jobs aside to keep the excitement going.

I nearly quit until I posted a PM to TheBishop who showed me the way.(The way up to the mountain peak- Thanks TheBishop). And just yesterday I got my second job with a firm to be in their Operation Consulting Team, working on Unix (HP Tru64). Guess what help me with the interview? Well my work with one of my private companies led me to learn Solaris and help them with one of their servers. This is just a small biz construction company. BUT experience counts alot not just working for the BIG company but even a voluntary job could help...

I bet some of you will be bored by reading this but hey! Someone put up something like this for me and its made me what I'm now.

Can I recommend TheBishop to be one of the forum moderator under a new roof of Career Help :D aside his marvelous work already?

Thanks you all and this great site.

A smart person knows what to say, but a wise person knows whether or not to say it.

'When perfection comes, the imperfect disappear.'
More
17 years 9 months ago #15831 by TheBishop
Replied by TheBishop on topic Job
Spot on mate! Told you something would come up.
Live long and prosper!
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds