Skip to main content

my future in networking

More
17 years 2 months ago #19972 by freenet
Replied by freenet on topic Re: my future in networking
Well this topic seems to be exciting , well let me add my experience maybe you show me if im taking the right path, well i have an engineering degree in IT but honestly it doesnt reflect my technical skills to feel like a fish in a water once im in a company , and from years ago i feel a special atraction for networking i like it i love it , but something is curious my first and actually job is a web developper i took this decision because that is what works the most in my area right now , and actually i know what i dont want to do ie i dont feel good when im developping and right im thinking seriously to switch to networking where i expect to have a good experience .
Well lets summarize , salary is less important that experience because
companies are looking for qualified people and qualification comes from experience so - you can work and dont get a very high salary -
you can work and feel good in what your doing - you can work and hate your work.
And if i have to choose ill take the 2nd option ;) .
More
17 years 2 months ago #19996 by Arani
Replied by Arani on topic forward thinking
hi all
i vaguely remember posting a reply to a similar question ages back on one of the forum, but anyway talking about what route to take is always one of my favourite subjects.

well, this is my opinion, it might not be agreeable to many others, but then not everything has the same preferences.

you have two ways of thinking, now you have to decide whether you want to earn money, or you want to have job satisfaction.
the pros of wanting to earn money is...well obviously you will earn loads of money. but that comes with a price. i have seen, and this is from experience, that money comes and goes like a sine wave. riding on the latest programming technology wave will get you loads of cash. but when you slip down from the crest to the trouch of that sine wave, you will find yourself out-dated by the new and next happening programming technology. you will be nudged aside another friend of yours will earn more money because he knows this new tool more than you do. so it's a constant of cycle of learning and being rendered out-dated

on the other hand, if you go for the field which you like to work in, your job satisfaction is guaranteed. once that is established, you will be seeing yourself driving to learn more about your field. this will make you an expert, and experts always get paid more than any conventional payscale. being a jack of all trades master of none, is not a very comfortable position in the IT industry.

in my case, i used to be a programmer. but then networking always interested me. i joined my current employer as a programmer and a networking guy combined together. but now thanks to my interests i have become a full fledged networking analyst for some major projects that i have been entrusted to run all by myself. and that speaks for itself in my pay check every month. i still continue programming using any available technology that i learn in my spare time.
i managed to learn all about .NET in my spare time, and now i use it to developed networked applications which i use.

so it's your choice, will it be money, or will it be a satisfied mind at the end of the day...

Picking pebbles on the shore of the networking ocean
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds